1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

BSoD on my Vista Laptop

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Memory, Apr 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Memory

Memory Thread Starter

I'm new here, I thought I'd sign up as I need help with my laptop. I used it, fully functioning, Thursday(15th April) and then shut it off since I was going to bed.

The following day it would just give me a BSoD when booting.

After the normal rambling that a crucial thread or process has been detected blah blah blah, the error code is as follows: 0x000000F4 (0x00000003, 0x8A78FD90, 0x8A78FEDC, 0x82236650)

I've got no idea what to do, or what the problem is. Help appreciated.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Run Startup Repair or System Restore. If you don't have a bootable DVD, try entering your system's recovery partition. System Restore and Startup Repair are available there on many machines. Run chkdsk /f at your first opportunity.

3. Memory

Memory Thread Starter

Hi Elvandil. Startup Repair tells me "Startup Repair cannot repair this computer automatically", while System Restore(I've tried it once already) didn't fix anything, and now it won't even start. I click "System Restore", nothing happens, I click it again, and a message says "System Restore is already runnng"(something similar).

Sorry, I'm not really very good when it comes to computers, when/where/how should I run "chkdsk /f"?

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

You need to be booted to Windows, at a command prompt (if you saw any available), or in a parallel Windows installation (like the stripped-down Windows that runs recovery) to run chkdsk. You may not now have that option, but if you saw any place in recovery to open a command prompt, it could be done from there. Or any place in recovery that offered to "check the drive for errors". If you get a command prompt, the command is:

chkdsk C: /f

for it to check for errors and repair them.

Make and model? How old? You may have some hardware problem here.

5. Memory

Memory Thread Starter

Okay, when I enter "Command Prompt" and write "chkdsk /f" this is what it says: "The type of the file system is NTFS. Cannot lock current drive. Windows cannot run disk checking on this volume because it is write protected."

I bought the laptop in October 2008, it's a HP Pavilion dv5-1095eo.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

Where are you entering chkdsk from? If it was in Windows, then the next thing that happens is that it asks if you want to run it on reboot. If you answer "Y", it will run when Windows has not yet loaded on the next boot.

If you are trying to do this from recovery, try :

chkdsk C: /x /f

to break all handles to the drive.

7. Memory

Memory Thread Starter

Uh, I first tried Startup Repair, didn't fix anything. It asked me whether I should send the info to Microsoft, I sent it. Then I could choose between Startup Repair, System Restore, and some more options, including "Command Prompt". I entered "chkdsk /f" in the Command Prompt, and it said exactly what I wrote in my previous post.

(Just a question) Do you always get a Vista CD or is it possible that the OS is installed directly from the hard drive?

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

People don't usually get a Vista DVD any more. Just the recovery partition. Recovery disks can be made following the directions in the Start menu when you get the machine, or bought from the manufacturer for around $20.

If you need to reinstall, you can do it from recovery.

If you were in repair, then try:

chkdsk C: /x /f

and see if you can check for errors that way. You can do a more complete check and check the surface of the drive for errors, too, but it will take a long time:

chkdsk C: /x /r

9. Memory

Memory Thread Starter

I did the "/x /f" one and got this; "Windows has checked your system files and found no problems."

I'm doing the "/x /r" one right now and it's taking foreeever.

I'll edit this when it's done.

Btw, I don't mind reinstalling Windows since I haven't really got any important documents on it, but wouldn't that require a Vista CD?

10. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Are you able to boot in Safe Mode or Safe Mode with Networking? (keep F8 depressed once the BIOS boot screen disappears, and you should get the Advanced Boot Menu)

If you can, upload the minidump for the BSODs:

1 > create a new folder on the desktop and call it "dumpcheck" or whatever you like
    2 > navigate to c:\windows\minidump and copy the last few minidump files to that folder. *this assumes 'c' is your boot drive, if it is not, subsitute accordingly
    3 > close the folder and right click on it and select Send to Compressed (zipped) Folder.
    4 > use the "manage attachments" in the "advanced" reply window to upload that zip file here as an attachment.

If you do not see any minidumps, be sure you are not using any cache cleaner such as CCleaner. Also run sysdm.cpl and select Advanced > Startup and Recovery. Make sure "small memory dump" is the one chosen under "write debugging information" and the location should be %systemroot%\minidump
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

You may also wish to try Clean Boot troubleshooting:

CLEAN BOOT TROUBLESHOOTING technique

First, restart in Safe Mode if necessary -- (tap the f8 key promptly on startup and choose the Safe Mode option from the boot menu) or Normal mode

Then:

Run msconfig and select the "Services" tab. Check "Hide Microsoft Services" and then disable the rest. Also uncheck "load startup items" on the general page.

Now restart and test the issue at hand

If no problems, run msconfig and recheck half the disabled items on the Services tab. Test again. If the problem recurs, UNcheck half the items you just checked to narrow down the culprit.

If the problem didn't occur, check the other half, so all the Services are enabled -- proceed to do this on the startup tab as well.

Get the idea? You want to isolate the problem to a specific startup if possible.

Note: if you already have items unchecked under msconfig > startups and are in “selective” startup mode – you should note what these are before beginning. They will need to be de-selected again.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135/en-us

11. Elvandil

Elvandil

No, you don't need the DVD, as I explained. You can restore your machine from the recovery area where you have been. Just follow the prompts.

If you want to try that, go ahead. I expect that we may discover that it won't work because there is a deeper problem. But it is worth a try and may be informative.

12. Memory

Memory Thread Starter

I decided to try to restore my machine, reinstalling Vista, deleting all my files, etc,etc.

Everything went perfect, until Vista was being installed. The computer shut itself off during the installation, and now it won't work.

It tells me to press "OK" and then it'll restart, to restart the Windows Vista installation, BUT it just tells me that a problem occurred(again), I press "OK", it restarts, same story over and over again. I've tried safe mode but it says it won't work without Windows Vista installed or something similar.

What to do now? ....

13. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

What is the computer model?

You may need to get a new disk drive, but I would try reseating the current drive and doing the clean install again.

Do check to see that all the laptop vents are clear of dust as you may be overheating during installation.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917828

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice