1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

BSOD on shutdown or reboot

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by mezzerooni, Dec 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mezzerooni

mezzerooni Thread Starter

Of my many current irritating problems, the easiest to describe, with the most consistent behavior, is this one:
    I get a BSOD (almost always citing "preparing physical dump of memory") whenever i shut down or reboot (or select "stand by"). the ONLY way i can get back to windows in a stable state is (1) power off, wait 30 sec or so. (2) power back on. (3) in DOS-type screen with options like "start windows normally", etc., i select F8.
    (4) in the next DOS screen, i select start XP in "last known configuration that worked".
    as long as i follow those exact steps, i am okay. if i try anything else, i am back to BSOD.

this basically started around the time i remembered i had a slave drive i hadn't used in maybe 6 months. i couldn't even remember why i had stopped using it, except that there were "problems" with it. i use the slave occasionally now, for storage of movies mostly. as long as i leave it running, there will eventually be a BSOD. if i turn the slave off after doing my storage procedures, the "C" drive usually runs trouble-free. until i decide to "rest" my PC and shut it down. which now ALWAYS results in a BSOD.
    i'm pretty sure i'm virus-free today. a month or so ago i switched from AVG free to Avira because AVG was acting up. then yesterday i couldn't get Avira to fully open. ran a scan on avast, found a couple infected files, deleted them, installed Avast (30-day trial), which ran okay for a few hours until a BSOD--crash, after which Avast wouldn't open.
    Tonight i installed VIPRE (15-day trial), and so far (VERY early days, admittedly) i'm pleased. but i am quite certain that the next time i attempt a re-boot (like to complete the uninstall of avast, or the installation of VIPRE, i'll get the usual blue screen.
    happy to provide an HJT or any other info to anyone who feels my condition may not be hopeless and is worth exploring further. i don't THINK my HD ("C") is failing, but at this point i'm ready to stop thinking about it and just turn this over to ye of the bigger brains.
    thank you very very very much in advance.

mezz

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/971770

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice