1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

BSOD or not? Pc rebooted unexpected (Moved from Windows 10 forum)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sew333, Jan 6, 2020.

Advertisement
  1. sew333

sew333 Thread Starter

Hello. My pc:

Monitor:AORUS AD27QD

Cpu: i7-9900K stock 4.7 with Noctua NH-D15

Gpu: Rtx 2080 Ti Aorus Xtreme Waterforce ( stock no oc,temps max 63C on load )

Ram: 32gb 2x16 GB DDR4 GSKILL 3000MHZ XMP

Psu: Seasonic Ultra Prime Titanium 850W

mb: Asus Prime Z390-A

SSD: Crucial 1TBHDD: WB BLUE 1 TB

Case: Cooler Master Cosmos C700P

My pc rebooted unexpectedly during logging out and logging in to system. It was so fast so i dont saw a BSOD. Just like power outage cut. I am not sure if that was BSOD or not.Can somebody help me identify?

Its my system settings:

[​IMG]

Event log said: Kernel 41 event power. No bugcheck.

After reboot i check Windows folder. C:/Windows/MEMORY.dmp not exist. C:/Windows/minidump folder not exist.

Only in C:/ windows/livekernelreports/ pow32kwatchdog.dmp. <--- that file appeared a few moment before reboot.

[​IMG]

Thats why i ask. That file was a cause of reboot and it was BSOD or it was not BSOD but simply reboot due to for example PSU?

I dont had any problems with stability. All games stable,memtest,realbench all ok.

Thanks for help

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2020
  2. tomg35

tomg35

Usually in a BSOD crash you do get a dump file, but if nothing is there then it's difficult to diagnose.

If everything is working Ok and the machine is working normally then don't worry about it. If it get frequent then grab any error messages and let us know.

3. sew333

sew333 Thread Starter

It happened once, i cant reproduce this anymore.

C:/ windows/livekernelreports/ pow32kwatchdog.dmp <-- that file appeared only. SO i guess that file was the reason of unexpected reboot?

4. tomg35

tomg35

Sometimes unexpected reboots is just the systems way of protecting itself, if it detected an issue, but as I say if it didn't leave a dump file there's no way of knowing.
    What you could do is make sure all your drivers are up to date, especially video drivers. Not sure, given the specs you describe above, whether your machine is hand built or not.
    If it's off the shelf then go to the manufacturers website (support page) and using your model number search for any updates.
    If you have hand built it then use the manufacturers website

5. sew333

sew333 Thread Starter

Ok but it happened once . And i update drivers. Should i rma some part pc or no?

6. tomg35

tomg35

If the drivers are up to date, then that aspect is covered. Hopefully it won't happen again but if it does and you get an error message or dump file then please share it

7. sew333

sew333 Thread Starter

I had a crash in Metro Exodus after 20 hours ,during exiting to MAIN MENU. Black screen,crash to desktop and unexpected reboot.

After crash to desktop i decided to log out from system and log back in again,and then system rebooted unexpectedly.

Why system rebooted after the crash? It happened once. Before reboot file appeared: --> PoW32kwatchdog.dmp

But i found this in windows/livekernelreports/PoW32kwatchdog.dmp <======== ( 1,8GB )

"a callout to win32k did not return promptly" windbg read

But i am bit worried about that reboot ( Kernel 41 ).

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Run some stability test ie OCCT, Intel extreme tuning, realbench, etc. Monitor temps and voltages during the stress test. Use the asus utility dual intelligent processors to monitor temps and voltages. This utility is available on the support page for your motherboard. Here is a link to the support page for your board;
    https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/PRIME-Z390-A/HelpDesk/
    Note ALL of those stress test programs are free downloads so you do not have to purchase anything. The intel tuning utility will also monitor temps/voltages however the others do not.

9. sew333

sew333 Thread Starter

I run all games and benchmarks no issues. It happened once but why i have file.

C:/Windows/livekernelreports/pow32kwatchdog.dmp <-- what is this?

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If you ran ALL of those benchmarks for a minimum of 1hr each and there were no problems, your hardware is fine and the problem is something with the game you are running OR perhaps a driver issue.

11. sew333

sew333 Thread Starter

But somebody said that KERNEL 41 POWER is hardware issue. I had KERNEL 41 POWER ( after reboot ) and
    C:/windows/livekernelreports/pow32kwatchdog.dmp <--- that file according to

Also i tested REALBENCH and other games,memtests and no issues. So?

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

So? You have your answer. You can keep looking for problems if you want. As I said IF you ran ALL of those programs for at least 1hr each without problems, your issue is a problem with the game and or a driver issue.

13. sew333

sew333 Thread Starter

Hello really apprecite it for help. So if that happened once ,unexpected reboot ( KERNEL 41 ) after game crash to desktop.
    And file pow32kwatchdog.dmp <---

It was caused by software/system/game?

Yes i tested again all games,realbench,memtest86 again and no issues.

14. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

What are your temps and voltages when running the stress test? Post a screenshot of asus dual intelligent processor showing cpu temp, 12V, 5V, and 3.3V values. Make sure the stress test has been running for a while prior to taking the screenshot.

15. sew333

sew333 Thread Starter

Temps of cpu are very low. 50-60C on load. Also during realbench or games for many hours i dont have any shutdowns and reboots.

Reboot happened once from desktop after game was crashed to desktop.
    Game crashed to desktop,because i was unable to close error window,so ctrl alt delete,log off,log in again,and reboot happened.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1238262

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice