1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

BSoD Overload

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Vice8641, Apr 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Vice8641

Vice8641 Thread Starter

Hmm... Where to start.
    Well first of all - hi, everyone! :p

To make a verrrrry long story short, I've been getting the "Blue Screen of Death" messages every time I try to run a program which requires 512MB RAM or more to run. I have 2GB of RAM, so that isn't the problem.

--- LONG STORY BEGINS HERE ---​

The messages are almost always different, nv4_disp.dll, fault in non paged area, blabla.sys etc., so the errors which the BSoD's give me aren't very reliable. If I followed those messages, my whole computer would explode from a BFBVFS (Big Fiery Ball Visible From Space :p).
    I had the computer get fixed at the computer fix thing-a-majig place, unfortunately it turned out my knowledge about computers is right about there with the people who were trying to fix it. In the end, I told them to replace the power supply since I've had problems with it in the past, but it looks like the power supply wasn't the case.
    I was thinking hardware problem, but now I'm thinking software problem. The hardware is going to have its 1 year birthday around these days, so I think it's still good for running.
    --- LONG STORY (somewhat) ENDS HERE ---​

I think that's about it. Suggestions for fixing this very annoying occurrence are welcome, but please hold off the "reinstall Windows" solution at least for a while. :p If everything else fails though, I'm willing to reinstall them.

Here are the technical and whatever else details I currently have.

HijackThis Log at boot time.

Graphics card - NVIDIA GeForce 8600GTS with 256VRAM
    Physical memory - 2GB DDR2 RAM
    Processor - Intel Core 2 Duo E6420 2.13GHz
    Motherboard - Intel Shrewsbury DG965SS
    Operating System - Windows XP SP3 (pre-release) on a sidenote, the guys that tried fixing my computer said that SP3 is releasing soon now, so I went off and downloaded the release client. It did no harm but also didn't make anything better.

That's the most important for now, I think. Thank you for reading all of this and thanks for being here at all! :D

2. Wanderer2

Wanderer2

"I try to run a program which requires 512MB RAM or more to run. I have 2GB of RAM, so that isn't the problem."

Sorry but I have to disagree with your conclusion. Appears to me you have a ram problem. Might want to download memtest and run it. You can also take chips out to reduce your ram and see if the blue screens go away. For example if you have 4 chips take two out. Get a blue screen take those out and replace them with the first two you took out. See what happens.

3. jasaiyajin

jasaiyajin

Agreed with Wanderer2... if a program uses a large portion of ram and crashes your pc, try removing a stick of ram; unless that's a 2 gig stick in there, then you need to try some new ram.

Some ram will work again if downclocked, that's a cheaper "possible, but unlikely" solution. Browse through your bios for a FSB modifier.

4. Vice8641

Vice8641 Thread Starter

I will try that, didn't think about that way. :p
    It's 2 sticks per 1GB, so I'll try removing one then the other one.

EDIT: Wanderer2 and jasaiyajin, thank you SO much!

I first removed the second stick, booted the computer and checked its memory - it said 0.99GB RAM.
    I turned on a game, after 5 minutes - poof, BSoD.

So I opened the computer again and now replaced the sticks. Boot up the computer, check its memory but this time - 1GB RAM. I launch a game and had it run for 2+ hours without any BSoD! I'm really thrilled now. :D The problem was in the RAM! I don't know if one having 0.01 RAM less than the other has any influence on the cause, but it doesn't matter in the end, I have my computer back! :D

Again.. Thanks to you guys so much! I had the computer getting fixed for 8 days just so they would conclude "It's probably not a software problem". Yet I post here and get an answer in less than 5 hours, the first answer being the solution which I can solve completely by myself! This really proves the reliability of these forums, awesome.

And thank you for the third time! :D Cheers!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/704949

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice