1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

BSOD Page Fault Error Message

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by tenscjed, Jan 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tenscjed

tenscjed Thread Starter

Are all Page fault errors the same or do the number sequences following the STOP: mean something. This would help to decide to post new help request or search previous post on same topic. Thanks.

2. The Hound

The Hound

Welcome to TSG--

Generally speaking, the word-for-word text of any error message or blue screen including the 0x000000xx codes and any driver file that's named (like nv4_dsp.dll) can be of help.

Specifically, 0x0000000a (IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL is almost always a hardware driver---often fixed with a driver update or reinstallation.

Stop 0x0000007F or UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP is almost always hardware, software, memory, driver, or something else.
    I hate 7F stop errors.

Adding information about your hardware build, version of the O/S, any attached peripherals, firewall and antivirus apps installed, last new hardware and/or software installed or removed, and what you were doing when the error occurred provide clues.

If you can replicate the error---if the error Always occurs when you open a certain app, or always after POST and before the Windows Logon screen...that can be important.

Yes. More information is better, and I'd say putting the stop error in the subject line is a good way to go.

3. tenscjed

tenscjed Thread Starter

Page Fault In Nonpaged Area

STOP: 0x00000050 (0xF7ABE7D4, 0X00000001, 0X804D9B68, 0X00000000)

Screen appeared after succesful but slow (black screen with cursor 3+ min.) startup from complete shut down. Computer was on for 2+ hours and virus definitions were updated and files were organized with explorer. The next morning BSOD with above message.

Here is the recent activity in last 2 weeks.
    1) updated virus definitions
    2) install pci USB 2.0 card (uninstalled now in attempt to solve)
    3) install wireless USB adapter for home network per manufac. directions. Uninstalled and downloaded latest version from website and reinstalled per directions.

Computer working fine until error message this morning.

Today - held power button for 10sec to shut down and restart. Received following message "Windows has recovered from serious error" Sent report to microsoft and followed prompts indicatiing driver error however zero conflicts listed in device manager. Went to windows update, nothing listed to be installed.

What's next? Help appreciated.

4. The Hound

The Hound

Okay. Today's the 19th, so last week was Fat Tuesday...did you install any drivers from Windows Update? I've seen some bad effects from Microsoft's versions of drivers for Dell OEM versions of such things as Video Cards.

The slow transition from pre-Windows to O/S sounds like the period when new drivers would load.

If you remove the PCI card and make sure the drivers for that are uninstalled, then uninstall the USB wireless adapter (that one should disappear on its own when you disconnect it), do you still have issues at boot?

Navigate to C:\Windows\minidump and see if you have dump files from the event(s). They're named by the date they were created, like 011910-1 (for January 19, 2010, first dump). Zip up the last few and attach them to your next post. We'll see if we can get them run through a kernel debugger for more information.

Did you say if this was a one-time occurrence, or if it's persisting?

5. tenscjed

tenscjed Thread Starter

When I installed the PCI USB card I did not install any drivers. After posting the computer worked fine and I left it on overnight.

I now a BSOD indicating I should run driver verifier and reboot in Safe Mode.

STOP: 0x000000C5 (0X00000000, 0X00000002, 0X00000001, 0X8054BF87)

I don't find a folder called minidump in the C:\Windows directory. Am I looking in the right place or is it gone?

Would I be better off reinstalling my Windows XP OS for a fresh start?

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

Page faults are normal and occur very frequently. They are not errors. They are normal paging operations. The error is the page fault occurring in a non-paged area.

STOP C5 is a corrupted driver. This usually occurs when an invalid driver tries to access disallowed memory addresses. Often, it is due to an incorrect driver being installed, but not always.

Try running chkdsk /f on the drive before resorting to anything drastic that may not fix the problem.

Have you had other errors or problems?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!