1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

BSOD: Page Fault in Non Paged Area; win32k.sys

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by cybernomad, Apr 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cybernomad

cybernomad Thread Starter

Hi,

Just some minutes ago I had this blue screen. I have noted down the salient points and am reproducing it here:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Problem seems to be caused by the following file: win32k.sys

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA

***STOP: 0x00000050, 0xB54F9B20, 0x00000001, 0xBF89FBE7, 0x00000000

***win32k.sys - Address BF89FBE7 base at BF800000, Date Stamp 4990fc9
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is not the first time I am having this problem. Apart from this sometimes I get DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_EQUAL_TO_OR_LESS(or somethng similar to this) BSOD. This usually happens sometimes after startup or if the PC is wakened from a sleep state.

The current BSOD occured after I wakened PC from Sleep.

My configuration is:

MoBo: D101GGC
    RAM: 1.5 GB (2 DIMMS one 1 GB and other 512 MB)
    HDD: 2 Seagate Barracuda (500 GB and 80 GB)

The 500 GB has a 65 GB System partition C:\ and a 400 GB data partition D:\. The 80 GB is a single data partition E:\.I have kept the paging file on partition C which is on 500 GB HDD as well as on partition E which is on 80 GB GDD.

The exact allocation of my Paging File can be seen in the screenshot below.

[​IMG]

Please help regarding this issue and thanx for reading...

2. cybernomad

someone please...

3. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Win32k.sys errors are very generic and can be caused either by hardware or software issues.

Are these repeating regularly? If so, upload the minidumps >>

I can run a debugging utility on the dump files if you do this:

1 > create a new folder on the desktop and call it "dumpcheck" or whatever you like
    2 > navigate to c:\windows\minidump and copy the last few minidump files to that folder. *this assumes 'c' is your boot drive, if it is not, subsitute accordingly
    3 > close the folder and right click on it and select Send to Compressed (zipped) Folder.
    4 > use the "manage attachments" in the "advanced" reply window to upload that zip file here as an attachment.

This might point us to a non Microsoft driver causing the error, if one exists for it.

Since almost all bugchecks can be caused by faulty ram, I would recommend you perform memory tests.

Beginners Guides: Diagnosing Bad Memory

Memtest86 - A Stand-alone Memory Diagnostic

Ram and overheating are two of the more likely hardware issues for this, but misbehaving antivirus or graphics drivers can also cause it.

4. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

0x00000050: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
    (Click to consult the online MSDN article.)
    Requested data was not in memory. An invalid system memory address was referenced. Defective memory (including main memory, L2 RAM cache, video RAM) or incompatible software (including remote control and antivirus software) might cause this Stop message, as may other hardware problems (e.g., incorrect SCSI termination or a flawed PCI card). Use the General Troubleshooting of STOP Messages checklist above.

You might have to update drivers. Sometimes, this type of error can be caused by an antivirus at Startup. The minidump files will surely help to narrow it down.

5. cybernomad

Hi, Thanx for all the info and help.
    I ran the memtest86+ test. The test ran for around 53 minutes and shows no error. The test started as soon as the computer booted from CD. Do we have to configure something to get more accurate results. There was a column called ECC and its value was OFF? What does this mean? Also I ran this test for one pass only. Do I have to run for more passes to get an accurate result??

6. cybernomad

Hi,

I am attaching the minidump files. Please analyze them.

There are six minidump files. 2 of them are for Page_Fault.

The other 4 were for Driver_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. It was being caused by US30XP.sys which was installed alongwith Universal Shield 4.2. I have uninstalled Universal Shield 4.2 and I think that this problem should not repeat. However if there is anything else I ought to know regarding this problem, please let me know.

Lastly please tell me, how can these minidump files be viewed. I downloaded Windows Debugging Tools from the Windows Hardware Central site, but cant open these crash dump files. The only way I know of viewing some info in these files is by going to Event Viewer> System and looking for Event ID 1001. Is there a better way of viewing the entire contents of these files??

Thanx for the help....

PS: While in Event Viewer>System, I noticed several Yellow Warning icons for an
    Event ID: 51.
    Source: Disk.
    Description: An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk2\D during a paging operation.

Please troubleshoot this matter as well.

Thanx again.

Attached Files:

7. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I've looked at about 4 of the dumps; 3 of them return directly to a driver associated with this software and it is almost certainly the problem.

I would just uninstall it

http://www.fileguru.com/Universal-Shield/info

----------------------------

If you are interested in more about debugging, here are some useful links:

I use the Windows debugger; some good info on use can be found here >>

http://thelazyadmin.com/blogs/thelazyadmin/archive/2006/05/23/Debugging-STOP-Errors-With-WinDBG.aspx

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35246

You may also use this tool, which automatically does the configuration >>

http://www.helpwithwindows.com/techfiles/explorer-crashes.html

Some folks will use "who crashed" but it only provides basic information -- however it will analyze all dump files in the folder and provide some additional thoughts on the type of crash recorded >>

http://www.nirmaltv.com/2008/12/18/whocrashed-windows-crash-dump-analysis-tool/

You don't need to download the symbol files from Microsoft, I find it better to use the symbol path configuration:

SRV*C:\Symbols*http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols

... which will automatically get the right versions for you.

8. cybernomad

Hi, Thanx for the help. I have already uninstalled Universal Shield 4.2 as informed in the previous post. I think that the Stop: 0xd1 problems wont occur now. Please also analyse the STOP: 0x50 minidumps and tell me what u think. Thanx for the info on Debugging. Also please look into the Disk Warning(Event ID 51) that im getting in Event Viewer, about which i informed in the previous post. Thanx for the help and info. Keep up the good work.

9. Phantom010

Are you still having the error STOP: 0x50 message?

10. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

11. cybernomad

Hi,

Thanx evryun for replyin ...
    Thanx Rollin' Rog for the info on EventID...

I had another BSOD today just after startup. This time it showed that the error was caused by win32k.sys, but it was not a PAGE_FAULT 0x50 error...it was this:
    0x1000008e (0xc0000005, 0xbf83c694, 0xb5832bb4, 0x00000000)

What is this win32k.sys thing?

I am attaching the latest crash dump file here. There are a total of 7 files in my Windows\Minidump folder, of which 6 I have posted earlier. Im posting the seventh.

I was wondering if keeping my paging file on both the drives could be causing this. Please review my paging file allocation in post#1. I had kept it on both drives as I read in many places, one of them being eldergeek, that keepin page file on both drives is a good thing. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanx for the help....

Attached Files:

12. Phantom010

Still Win32k.sys. Here's a solution I've found on the Web but it's a bit old.

13. cybernomad

Thanx Phantom...will try....and post back...meanwhile, please analyse the latest minidump....

14. Phantom010

That's what the last minidump showed: Probably caused by Win32k.sys.

15. cybernomad

The BSOD told me that it was caused by win32k.sys...But what is different this time is the stop error and that there is no PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA thing.

The stop error last time was 0x00000050. But this time it was 0x1000008e.

Doesnt this mean something...Thanx for the help and swift responses...

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!