1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

BSOD Page_Fault_In_Non_Paged_Area

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Girl_london, Dec 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Girl_london

Girl_london Thread Starter

Hi All,

First time newbie to the forum so please be bear with me.....

A desktop computer that I have been using running Windows XP Home Ed. [HE] SP3 has recently been experiencing multiple problems leading to a "BSOD" error stating Page_Fault_In_Non_Paged_Area along with Stop 0x00000050 (WWWWWWW, XXXXXXXXX, YYYYYYYYY, ZZZZZZZZ).

Here's a short summary of the history of this problem:

1. Computer working fine but noticed Antivirus Firewall switching itself off
    2. Contacted Antivirus Software Manufacturer who ran a clean/wff.zip process and advised to un-install and then re-install Antivirus Software [Mcafee].
    3. Computer re-booted however Internet (using IE7, I believe) no longer working. Note: Checked on various other devices via ethernet cable and via wireless and confirmed internet, modem and cable not at fault since these devices showed full internet access.
    4. Contacted Mcafee who couldn't fix or understand the issue suggested contacting OS provider [Microsoft].
    5. Computer no completely unresponsive unable to access home page or log on due to BSOD with the above issues.
    6. Miscrosoft suggest re-installation of Windows XP HE SP3 using CD.
    7. Ran process to "repair" Windows via CD however was unable to continue passed "c:\windows>" prompt.
    8. Contacted computer manufacturer [DELL] who also couldn't help with this issue.
    9. Ran some pre-installed software that claimed it would locate and fix any computer problems which also did not work.
    10. Am now running Windows with limited functionality using "safe mode restore option" when F8 key held down during restart.

Points to consider:
    - No access to the computer outside of the "safe restore mode" as all other options such as "...last known good configuration, safe mode with networking etc.." crash default to the BSOD with the above error code.
    - System restore points have been completely wiped clean so cannot revert computer back to a date when it was working fine.
    - "Chkdsk" also shows no problems when run along with "chkdsk /f /r"
    - I do not believe, or more likely, cannot tell if there is malware/a virus or trojan applications running on the machine. Did a check using "attrib" along with "attrib -ab" looking for .exe or .inf files though couldn't see anything such as this. Again it is possible that I am not sure what I should be looking for hence may have missed something.

That is a summarised version of events however if anyone can offer any advice it would be greatly appreciated. The machine is DELL Dimension 8300 with a Pentium 4 processor. 1 GB of RAM. Before anyone says anything - yes it is a slightly older computer but it has been working very well up until the firewall problem.

Thanks and season's greetings to you all.

/of London

2. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Hi, try running the Dell Diagnostics test.
    http://support.dell.com/support/top...9E3A15597A04AFBB02EE16785D39C5C&isLegacy=true

Stop 0x00000050 - can be caused by Faulty Ram.
    Is the 1Gb of Ram - one stick of Ram or two 526 Mb sticks?
    If one sticks - remove on stick of Ram and see if the Pc will boot in normal mode.
    If no luck - try the other stick of Ram.

You say you tried to "repair" Windows - you may have to try a clean install of Xp - do you have any files and data that you need to save?

3. Girl_london

Selecting F12 the only option I had were 8. Boot to Utility Partition and 7. IDE Drive Diagnostics.

Choosing option 8 just takes me through as normal and then eventually crashes showing BSOD as before.

Option 7 ran and I got the following

----

Primary SATA
    Drive 0: WDC WD1200JD-75GBB0 - Pass
    Secondary SATA
    Drive 0: No device
    Primary IDE
    Drive 0: No device
    Drive 1: No device
    Secondary IDE
    Drive 0: HL-DT-STDVD-ROM GDR8163B- Diagnostics not supported
    Drive 1: No device
    Test complete, Press <ENTER> to reboot

-----
    When I clicked enter there was no difference - BSOD with the details as mentioned before. Also I am now getting "kernel32.dll" errors boxes repeatedly too as I attempt various functions e.g. viewing internet pages, opening documents etc. It does not stop me from performing tasks as all I do is click 'OK' each time. However it is highly interuptive and possibly related to the overall problem, so thought I should flag this too.

I have 2x 526 Mb sticks but am reluctant to start removing anything in case I make matters worse!

I have only tried a system re-pair from CD not sure how I would go about doing a new installation with Windows XP SP3 when it already exists on the computer. Everything I need has been backed up on another drive or can be re-installed if I do a full system clean then re-installation.

thanks for your response.

/of London

4. blues_harp28

You ran chkdsk - which would indicates that you have a full Xp install Cd - not just a repair Cd?
    As you have a back up of all needed data etc - a re-install of Xp would be your next best move.
    Some guides here.
    http://www.blackviper.com/os-install-guides/windows-xp-professional-install-guide/
    http://pcsupport.about.com/od/operatingsystems/ss/instxpclean1.htm

Follow the instructions and delete all Windows partitions.
    Create a new partition and install Win Xp onto the C partition, so that the install takes up all the hard drive space.

5. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Do not re-install, just yet.

That error is a memory error which is likely caused by faulty or poor fitting RAM.
    Faulty drivers or a bad program could cause it as well.

Temporarily uninstall any program you have recently added, also any drivers.

Next test the memory with MEMTEST86

6. Girl_london

Nothing has been changed on the computer apart from the un/re- installation of the aniti-virus [AV] software. The computer was working fine up until the AV software agent advised to do the aforementioned procedure.

What is MEMTEST86? Currently machine stating that I have 74GB of memory free.

thanks

7. DaveBurnett

8. blues_harp28

MemTest
    Download the ISO file from one of the links above to a working Pc.
    Then burn the ISO to a Cd.
    Start the Pc using the Cd and run the memory test overnight or for at least 8 passes.

It is best to run a full scan on individual Ram sticks if you can.
    Or run the test but if any errors are shown - then remove all sticks of Ram and test each Ram stick one at a time.

You can also run the Mem test from a USB stick
    http://www.memtest.org/#downiso
    Scroll down to Download (Pre-built & ISOs)
    Download -Auto-installer for USB Key (Win 9x/2k/xp/7) *NEW!*

Download to your desktop - unzip it there.
    Put the USB stick into your Pc USB slot.
    Click on the Install icon on your desktop - it will then have a box appear asking you to name the USB drive letter.
    Put the drive letter in the box and click on install.

But first check that you are using the correct drive letter - with the USB stick in the USB slot of your PC - right click My Computer > click on Open.
    Your USB stick will be listed with the drive letter.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic207910.html

9. Girl_london

I would prefer not to download anything since there is no AV installed so very vulnerable at the moment. Clean install is the best bet.

Rgds

/of London

10. DaveBurnett

But a clean install will not help if the fault is with the memory.

11. blues_harp28

Dave is right
    A MemTest would be the next best move.
    Your post # 3 - indicates that it passed the hard drive test and a ram test would be my next move.

You would download the Memtest ISO file onto a working Pc.
    Install onto a Cd/DVD and then run the Memtest on your non working Pc running from the Cd at start up.

The Bios needs to be set to boot [Start] from the Cd - it may already be set to do so.
    If not, in the Bios you use the arrow keys to move the Cd to the top of the list.
    Save and Exit the Bios - pressing F10 will usually do this.
    Make no other changes while in the Bios.

http://michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm

If you do a clean install of Xp - you may still be left with a ram problem.

12. Girl_london

Ok I understand will give that a go, however should that no flag any issues what are my options?

Thanks

/of London

13. DaveBurnett

We'll think about that when the memory comes up clean :)

14. Girl_london

So I wiped everything clean and the computer seems to be working - although on Windows XP SP1. I now want to update it to SP3 plus add any AV software asap from Microsoft site but cannot get onto the Internet through IE.

I am aware that it could be that I need to update "network connections" but not aware of any CDs that were used to do this. I have run connection wizard and it keeps diverting to dial up mode. Only connections I can see are:

LAN or High Speed Connection:
    1394 - Enabled/Firewalled

Dial Up:
    Dellnet Disconnected

Broadband
    Broadband Connection Disabled/Firewalled (This is the one is the one I setup through the wizard insturctions).

Is this a common issue?

/of London

15. blues_harp28

What is the make and model number of you Pc?
    You may need to download the driver for the network card.

Check Device Manager
    Click Start button >run > type
    devmgmt.msc

Click the + sign to expand all entries.
    Look under Network Adapters.
    Check for any yellow exclamation marks.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1082616

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice