1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

BSOD - probably caused by ntkrpamp.exe

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by yankees8223, Dec 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. yankees8223

yankees8223 Thread Starter

Hello. One of our users has received two BSOD's in the past 10 days. I checked the dump files and they both say

"Probably caused by : ntkrpamp.exe ( nt!IopSynchronousServiceTail+70 )"

and

"PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA (50)
    Invalid system memory was referenced. This cannot be protected by try-except,
    it must be protected by a Probe. Typically the address is just plain bad or it
    is pointing at freed memory.
    Arguments:
    Arg1: e69da000, memory referenced.
    Arg2: 00000000, value 0 = read operation, 1 = write operation.
    Arg3: 8052e7b7, If non-zero, the instruction address which referenced the bad memory
    address.
    Arg4: 00000001, (reserved)"

This computer is a Dell Optiplex 760 running Windows XP SP3. Last week, we ran the full diagnostics on the Dell Diagnostics disk and it came up clean. I think next I'm going to run memtest86+.

I've attached the last two dump files and if anyone has any suggestions, I'd appreciate it.

Attached Files:

2. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

Both of your log files show the problem is probably caused by aspi32.sys (different from your log analysis that showed "ntkrpamp.exe"), a driver file for an Adaptec SCSI device. I am not sure why you would have that though; unless you have an Adaptec add-on card, or maybe it gets installed with Adaptec or Roxio CD/DVD burner software. Do you have any of those?

Note that I have seen cases where two debug tools show different results for a given .dmp file, but don't have a clue why or which is correct.

3. yankees8223

Yes, there is a SCSI add-in card installed. I also believe there is Roxio software installed. However, I'd be willing to bet the SCSI card is the culprit. I'll take a look at that. Thank you.

4. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

The date on your aspi32.sys driver is from 2002, so it would be a good idea to see if Adaptec has a newer driver.

5. yankees8223

Good catch! Thank you.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/970968

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice