1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

BSOD problem

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by mara92, Jan 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mara92

mara92 Thread Starter

Hi,
    for the past week I've been getting quite a few BSODs. I re-installed Windows and it didn't work so I'm guessing I'm having a hardware issue. The last BSOD said something about bugcode_usb_driver, although I'm pretty sure I've had other BSODs as well. But let's stick to this one for now. I usually only get these error while playing games, but sometimes my computer might crash when I'm just browsing the Internet.
    My CPU and GPU temperatures are fine. I have attached my latest minidump files.

Attached Files:

2. Megabite

Megabite

Howdy,

Probably caused by : atikmpag.sys ...try reinstalling the update driver for your Video card

Probably caused by : ntoskrnl.exe..... this is a bit generic error

3. mara92

mara92 Thread Starter

Alright thanks, I'll give it a try.
    I just had another BSOD while playing a game and this time it wasn't the usb error. I hadn't reinstalled my video drivers yet, but I'll attach the new minidumps in case you can find any new problems.

Attached Files:

4. Megabite

Megabite

how old is your video card

5. mara92

mara92 Thread Starter

about 3 years

6. Megabite

Megabite

The only see two errors and they are atikmpag.sys and ntoskrnl.exe........have you updated the video card driver?

What happened whe you tried to reinstall Windows?

7. mara92

mara92 Thread Starter

Hmm alright, yeah I just finished reinstalling my video card driver. I think it's quite unlikely to be the problem though, seeing as I installed them yesterday after I reinstalled Windows (yes, I'm sure they are the latest drivers). But I will try if my computer stays stable this time.
    And nothing weird happened when I reinstalled Windows, I just formatted the hard drive and installed it again. I also have another question if you don't mind... I downloaded GPU-Z to monitor how the temperature changes when I play a game, but I happened to notice that my current clocks are a lot lower than the default ones. But when I open a 3D application it automatically clocks up to the default values, is that normal?

8. Megabite

Megabite

I wouldn't think that that is a problem

Question why did you re install windows and was it a fresh install or repair?

The thing is I'm wondering if your Video card could be failing.

9. mara92

mara92 Thread Starter

mainly because I hadn't formatted my computer in a long time so I wanted to clean it up and also hoped that it would fix my BSODs. it was a fresh install

10. Megabite

Megabite

You can run some tests....Like memtest86 for memory and run a diagnotics on the Hard drive from the manufactures site

11. mara92

mara92 Thread Starter

Okay I'll do that... but weren't you suspecting my video card, not my hard drive? :p

12. Megabite

Megabite

One error was your video card driver the other could be other things...best to check them and get a clean bill of health on them then at least you have narrowed the problem down.

13. mara92

mara92 Thread Starter

Ok so I did the memtest86 and it reported 0 errors, same goes for my 2 hard drives.

14. Megabite

Megabite

Next thing would be to test with another Video card or maybe remove the Video card and use the onboard graphics if it has one.

15. mara92

mara92 Thread Starter

I see... is there no way to run a diagnostic on my video card with a software? The only other graphics card I have is like 8 years old..

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/973015

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice