1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

BSOD, restart, BSOD, restart - constant cycle

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by kickback999, Apr 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kickback999

kickback999 Thread Starter

Hello.
    Usually I use Linux (because its faster easier more secure and just better) but in the past week I have had to install Windows XP pro sp2 on a seperate hard disk for remote desktop connectivity with the Windows system at work.
    Installation wouldn't work for whatever reason, so I had to install win2000. I thought I would keep that on, but unfortunatly updates would not work at all. So I then relatively painlessly updated to XP and installed SP2. From there it was working, and everything about it worked (apart from in games I get odd white lines on textures, but thats probably for another thread). After installing all the latest updates, graphics drivers etc I put steam on for some games (mainly cs). During the games occasionally it would freeze the game and lock up the system and if left long enough would bluescreen, say something about nv4_disp.dll and dump my physical memory to disk or something.
    Now whenever I try to boot (into any one of the options on the safe mode menu thing) it loads, flashes a BSOD and then restarts.
    If anyone can offer any help I would be very grateful.
    Cheers, Lee.

2. zabusant

zabusant

It's the Nvidia drivers that caused this. Find your windows XP cd and boot from it - go to the recovery console and type chkdsk /r. It might fix it so you can boot - if you can log on afterwards, immediately uninstall the nvidia drivers.

3. kickback999

kickback999 Thread Starter

Thanks for your help.
    I cant actually get into a recovery console, when I put the disk in it stays on a completely blank screen with my hd access led on for a while. I left it for a while and came back down to find my pc ready on the Fedora 8 Linux login screen. Obviously Windows restarted the pc for whatever reason again even on the recovery cd.
    I will probably just reinstall Windows, but since it was the very latest drivers from the nvidia site which "caused" this problem, what am I supposed to do after that?
    Will there be a officially supported Microsoft version of the drivers on the Microsoft update manager?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!