1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

BSOD - Stop: 0x0000007B Please Help!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Swordy, Mar 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Swordy

Swordy Thread Starter

I am getting a Blue Screen with the above error message every time I power up my computer. I installed an upgrade to Bestcrypt 8. When I rebooted after the install, I got the BSODs, in all modes (safe, last known good, etc).

The BSOD occurs within a second or so of the Windows Logo appearing on the screen. Not long enough to start generating a bootlog. Always the same error codes.

I'm running XP Pro SP2. My single 1TB hard drive holds two XP partitions, with fairly different software and setup configurations. I can still boot into the other partition, which to my mind rules out basic hardware problems.

Furthermore, I cunningy (and painstakingly) retrieved the default, SAM, SECURITY, software, and system files from the second partition, and used UBCD4Win to copy them to the inaccessible first partition. Voila, I could boot-up to the first partition again.

But the problem is that the configurations are so different that the mismatched registry is not much use. Of course, I still have copies of the original registry files.

So the evidence suggests to me that the problem is a rogue registry entry, rather than a corrupt driver file.

One course of action I've tried so far is as follows:

I booted to the first partition, with the mismatched (but sorta working) registry. Then I installed BC8 and took a snapshot of the registry using Advanced Registry Monitor. Then I uninstalled BC8 again (the reboot produced no problems this time), and took another snapshot. Most of the changes in HKLM were in the system and software sections. I then loaded the original (faulty) system and software hives into regedit (calling them system1 and software1), duplicating all the changes that the BC8 uninstall had made to the active hives. Then I unloaded the modified hives again. What I hoped, was the these hives would be the properly matched versions - but now with any entries related to BC8 removed.

A bit of jiggery pokery with UBCD4Win to rename the hives and put them in the right place, and I tried rebooting back to the partition. BSOD again (with the same error codes)!

I am really reluctant to do a fresh Windows Install, because I have a ton of stuff that would have to be reinstalled and configured. Worse than that is the stuff one forgets to do until one needs it, so for the next 3 months, every job is punctuated by having to mess about looking for software, drivers, activation codes, passwords etc. And an in-place repair/upgrade is a messy affair - I just know I'm going to end up with version soup, so I'd prefer not to go that route either, if I can avoid it.

So please, all you kind and bright people out there, advise me on how to try fixing this!

The error message codes are: Stop: 0x0000007B (0xBACC3528,0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

The screen is the same one is shown here, apart from the actual codes:
    [​IMG]

Thanks in advance for any useful suggestions!

Regards,

Michael...

2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Stop 0x0000007B or INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE

The Stop 0x7B message indicates that Windows XP has lost access to the system partition or boot volume during the startup process. Installing incorrect device drivers when installing or upgrading storage adapter hardware typically causes stop 0x7B errors. Stop 0x7B errors could also indicate possible virus infection.

The second parameter is very important because it can indicate whether the 0x7B Stop message was caused by file system issues or problems with storage hardware and drivers. Values of 0xC000034 or 0xC000000E typically indicate:

# Disks or storage controllers that are failing, defective, or improperly configured.
    # Storage-related drivers or programs (tape management software, for example) that are not fully compatible with Windows XP Professional.

Possible Resolutions:

# During I/O system initialization, the controller or driver for the startup device (typically the hard disk) might have failed to initialize the necessary hardware. File system initialization might have failed because of disk or controller failure, or because the file system did not recognize the data on the boot device.
    # Repartitioning disks, adding new disks, or upgrading to a new disk controller might cause the information in the Boot.ini file, or Boot Manager, to become outdated. If this Stop message occurs after installing new disks to your system, edit the Boot.ini file or adjust the Boot Manager parameters to allow the system to start. If the error occurs after upgrading the disk controller, verify that the new hardware is functioning and correctly configured.
    # Verify that the system firmware and disk controller BIOS settings are correct and that the storage device was properly installed. If you are unsure, consult your computer's documentation about restoring default firmware settings or configuring your system to auto-detect settings. If the error occurs during Windows XP Professional setup, the problem might be due to unsupported disk controller hardware. In some cases, drivers for new hardware are not in the Windows XP Professional Driver.cab library, and you need to provide additional drivers to complete the Windows XP setup successfully. If this is the case, follow the hardware manufacturer's instructions when installing drivers. Periodically check for driver and firmware updates.
    # Hard disk corruption can also cause this Stop message. For more information about checking hard disk integrity, see the instructions provided in "Stop 0x00000024 or NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM" earlier in this list.
    # Problems that cause 0x7B errors might also cause Stop 0xED errors. For more information about 0xED Stop messages, see "Stop 0x0000007B or INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE" later in this list.

Microsoft KB articles:

- Troubleshooting STOP 0x0000007B or 0x4,0,0,0 Error
    - STOP 0x0000007B Error After You Move the Windows XP System Disk to Another Computer
    - STOP 0x0000007B Error Message When You Restart Computer
    - STOP 0x0000007B Caused by Missing [SysprepMassStorage] Section on Windows XP sysprep Images
    - STOP 0x0000007B Error Occurs When You Press F6 to Load Drivers During Unattended Windows Setup

3. blade09

blade09

You sort of answered your issue already. You have already concluded that installing this "bestcrypt" is causing the issue. Sounds like you need to contact the support team of this program.

4. Swordy

Swordy Thread Starter

Thanks for taking the trouble to reply so promptly!

Generally, that's exactly what my research would lead me to conclude - faulty hardware, corrupt or incorrect drivers, virus, or corrupt file system.

However, the fact that the problem goes away when I use a different registry would seem to render those particular causes lesss likely. (Not impossible, I concede. But to cover off those bases, I have done a number of virus scans and various HDD scans, which have not reported any problems).

What I don't have, which would be useful, is a system restore point. For some reason there are no snapshots of my registry in System Volume Information. Else I could reconstruct the registry from there.

These solutions would all seem to be contra-indicated, by the fact that I can boot up as soon as I use the registry "stolen" from my second partition.

My own suspicion is that the original registry contains some invalid information about the hardware or drivers. But apart from the things I have already done (tracing as best I can what Bestcrypt installs, and then removing those entries), I don't know where to begin looking!

Thanks again.

Regards,

Michael...

5. Swordy

Swordy Thread Starter

I am waiting for a response from Jetico (Bestcrypt), and have delved through their forums without success. It seem that other people have reported blue screens (various error messages and codes, none have been 0x0000007B as far as I know), but they have been able to boot up in safe mode, uninstall the software, and then it's all been ok.

Will obviously hope for help from Jetico too, but not holding my breath there!

Rgds,

Michael...

6. blade09

blade09

Are you not able to boot into safe mode?

7. Swordy

Swordy Thread Starter

Correct. As I said above, I can get into the XP partition in safe or normal mode if I use the Registry hives from the other XP partition on the same HDD, but with the correct registry, it always bluescreens in all modes.

I am tending to think an in-place XP reinstall is my only way forward. My reading tlls me it will effectively update all the drivers with original Windows ones, and reset the SYSTEM registry keys back to XP defaults. But it doesn't mess with the user information or software settings. I've backed up the partition, so I'm going to try the in-place reinstall. I'd still like to get views on the proximate cause the problem (I'm assuming at this stage that Bestcrypt was the ultimate cause). And of course, what solutions would be best, if for no other reason than future reference.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/813348

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice