1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

BSOD stop 0x7a and boot problems

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Sidon3, Jan 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sidon3

Sidon3 Thread Starter

Hi,
    For the past year or so I've been getting BSODs with the stop code 0x7a (kernal data inpage error).

Last week my wireless Internet stopped working on my computer, even though it continued to work on all other devices in the household. It showed as connected on my computer, but I would get a dns/connection error every time I would try to go on a web page or use a program that needs Internet. It would sometimes work for a few seconds then fail again.

This morning, I noticed my computer was lagging and after a while things began to freeze up. I knew from past experience that a BSOD was coming and sure enough I got one after an hour.

Usually when I get BSODs I can turn my computer off for a while and then reboot with no problems, however this time it's been problem after problem. At first I could start windows normally and get to my desktop after a little while, but things would right away freeze up and I would have to shut down.

For a while I could boot pretty well into safe mode, but things were still slower than usual.

Right now I'm at the point where I tried to boot in safe mode but it wouldn't let me, and booted normally. When I got to my desktop, it told me "desktop is not accessible, access is denied". I'm fed up with trying to fix this myself, so any help is so so so greatly appreciated. I'm a noob when it comes to fixing this stuff so go easy on me :)

Thankfully I backed up all my files, and I saved my minidump files to my external hard drive, so let me know if you need me to upload them. I'm using my iPod to upload this message but I can use a friends computer to upload anything you need.

My info is:
    Windows 7 64bit
    Toshiba satellite l500d

Thank you so much!!!

2. dai

dai

3. Sidon3

Sidon3 Thread Starter

Ok, so I tried running the DOS in safe mode, since I can't boot in normal mode, and it told me it wasn't the right version. It might just have to do with the fact I'm in safe mode. I'm not sure.

I'm running chkdsk now, it was stuck at 11% for 10 minutes or so, and now it's saying it has replaced a bad cluster in a file. I'll post an update once chkdsk has finished.

4. dai

dai

the dos one you boot the computer from it not try and run it from within windows

5. Sidon3

Sidon3 Thread Starter

How do I boot my computer from dos?

6. dai

dai

the instructions are in the txt file in the download

7. Sidon3

Sidon3 Thread Starter

Oh...haha now I feel dumb...

On another note, chkdsk is either frozen, or taking an hour to process one file. Should I restart my computer and just do the dos thing? Or should I wait?

8. Sidon3

Sidon3 Thread Starter

I did a bit of research...and apparently chkdsk can take over 24 hours sometimes? Looks like ill be waiting a while...I'll post when it's finished and when I have booted from dos

9. dai

dai

checking the hard drive can take hours,but chkdsk checks the file system only and usually does not take that long

10. Sidon3

Sidon3 Thread Starter

It's on stage 4/5 'verifying file data'. It seems stuck on file 178721/253424, as its been on that file for over an hour. Is there something I should do?

11. dai

dai

just wait

12. Sidon3

Sidon3 Thread Starter

Ok, chkdsk has finished. It found something like 60 'bad sectors'. I'm not sure what that means.

I'm trying to figure out the whole DOS thing, but I honestly have no clue what that is. The text file says I need to boot from a DOS disk, which I don't know if I have. I'm not great with computers so some help would be greatly appreciated!

13. dai

dai

the file gives instructions on making the disk to boot with

i think it is time to replace the drive

14. Sidon3

Sidon3 Thread Starter

So after chkdsk, I can now boot into normal mode! My wireless connection is still fishy (the wireless is fine, it's something to do on the computer's end), but at least now everything is somewhat stable.

I too think it's time for a new drive...however I have everything backed up, so I'm basically gonna run this drive to the ground and then get a new laptop.

Any thoughts on what problem could be causing my internet to be messed up? The connection says it's always connected, however sometimes it just won't let me connect to the DNS, or something. The troubleshooter tells me nothing.

15. dai

dai

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1086837

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice