1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

BSOD STOP: c0000218 {Registry File Failure} and STOP: 0x0000007E

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Lecasta7, Feb 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lecasta7

Lecasta7 Thread Starter

Hello!

I am trying to troubleshoot a computer on my work network. I read through many of the guides and forums concerning these issues but cannot seem to resolve. Will start at beginning.

One of the PCs won't boot in any mode, safe mode, restore system to previous state, or normally. It gives the following message : STOP: c0000218 {Registry File Failure} The registry cannot load the hive (file):\systemroot\system32\config\SOFTWARE or its log or alternate. From what I have been reading the way to solve this is to use an xp cd and run recovery console. Unfortunately I am at a small base in Afghanistan and don't have access to this cd.

I have found a few recovery console/boot disk isos that I burned onto cds but when I try to boot from one of these cds it goes to another BSOD which states STOP: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0xF748E0BF, 0xF780A208, 0xF7809F08) pci.sys - Address F748G0BF base at F7487000, datestamp 3b7d855c.

I would very much like to get into the recovery console to at least try some of the steps I have read in the guides but have thus far had no luck. Does anyone have any information as to why I am getting the second error when I try to boot from CD? Or able to recommend any programs that might work?

Thanks in advance.

2. Lecasta7

Lecasta7 Thread Starter

oh forgot, as for the computer it is a dell optiplex 980 - runs on windows xp SP3

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/981601

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice