1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

BSOD to the max!

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by xxgokouxx, Dec 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xxgokouxx

xxgokouxx Thread Starter

I'm having some weird BSOD symptoms i haven't had before my new video card install, i've been jiggling around with hardware from all over but I have no idea if it's the 6gb worth of memory sticks, the GTX 570 i just purchased, or the motherboard is defective. Here are the dump files below. One more thing, there's 50/50 chances that memtest86 fails the 4 passes, and passes during 4 passes. I also have trouble even remotely RUNNING windows 7 install screen (popping in the CD and running a fresh install) sometimes, 80% of the time windows 7 will run fine, 20% it won't even boot. Bahh, i'm a little shocked right now, I'll just leave the .dmp files with you guys. I'll also list specs of the build below if it helps any....

Motherboard: Asrock K10n78d
    Power Supply #1: Thermaltake Black Widow 850w W0319RU (powering motherboard+GTX 570)
    Power Supply #2: Diablotek 400w (powering 2x DVD burners + 6 HDDs)
    Graphics Card: EVGA GTX 570 Super Clocked
    Ram: 2x Patriot PDC22G6400LLK (PC2-6400) 2x Samsung M3 78T5663EH3-CF7 (PC2-6400)

PS: OS's are also running a RAID 0 setup, off of 2x250GB WD drives. The HDDs are one of the few things i'm pretty certain is NOT the cause of these BSODs

Thanks ahead for reading my crazy rant and if possible, diagnosing my dmps =]

Also, I can also send you dump files I have under Windows XP x86 upon request, if that can further confirm any hardware problems.

Attached Files:

• dmp.rar
      File size:
      48.3 KB
      Views:
  2. Megabite

Megabite

Howdy,

You say you have tried a memtest and it has failed?

3. xxgokouxx

xxgokouxx Thread Starter

yessir, memtest failed on random parts during random sessions of the test.... like sometimes it doesn't even finish pass 1, sometimes it gets to pass 4 and i quit, then sometimes it doesn't get past pass 2. It's so randomized that i'm not sure if it's the ram or the ram slots. If it's the motherboard, Asrock has the 1yr warranty and I wanna claim it soon!

All these symptoms started when I installed the GTX 570 video card + 850w power supply. I haven't gone back to my 8600 GS yet.

4. Megabite

Megabite

well I would put the other video card back in and see......and then try another memtest too

5. xxgokouxx

xxgokouxx Thread Starter

i might have to =[ but I don't see how a video card would force memory to be a culprit in memory BSODs

PS. this might also add fuel to the fire, but i'm OC'd at 3.4Ghz from 2.6 (AMD Athlon II x2 215)

OC was running fine before the video card+power supply addition

6. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

One dump log says memory corruption, the other a driver fault. Probably is memory since memtest86 sometimes fails. Have you tried removing 2 sticks of RAM, then repeating the same with the other 2 sticks?

7. xxgokouxx

xxgokouxx Thread Starter

yes, i've tried that, and it does that randomized work and not working thing again.... when i fidget with it or reseat the ram back and forth, it works after 5-10 tries.... I'm gonna reboot and run memtest86 one last time and see if i can manage to get past a few runs..... I'll be back with results!

You also mentioned driver fault frank, any chance you can enlighten me WHICH driver it may be? lol.... i can also send u windows XP logs.... i'll post below

Attached Files:

8. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

Overclocking combined with the new graphics card may also have something to do with it.

9. xxgokouxx

xxgokouxx Thread Starter

ran memtest86+ instead of memtest86, memory is A OKAY! lol, i let it run for 5 or so hours.

i put the PC back on stock clock for the time being now. Memtest was run with the overclock. Now the symptoms only come up during gameplay, like heavy gameplay (crysis, Starcraft II, Dead Rising 2). I'm no game junkie, just like using these games to see how far the video card can go, apparently not very far lol

I've heard people bump up their memory settings for THEIR video card.... Do you guys think that's the culprit?

10. Megabite

Megabite

Try running the games at a lower game setting....

11. xxgokouxx

xxgokouxx Thread Starter

did exactly as you said megabite, it worked flawlessy, then i let my cousin go at it for a whole 8-12hrs playing games on low res, and then i maxed it out for a whole nother 5-6hrs.... WORKS FLAWLESSLY! i think the video card just needed a break in period or something lol!

Thank you for everyone's help! If any problems persist i'll be back =]

12. Megabite

Megabite

Glad to hear...

Keep an eye on the temps of the CPU and GPU to see if they are getting warm

Download and install hwmonitor
    and see what the temps etc are. Download the 1.17 setup, english on the righthand side.
    ....take a reading when not running the game CPU(core) and GPU Video card and post them. (Just a screenshot of results is fine)

Then run the game for 10min or so and take another reading post the results

13. xxgokouxx

xxgokouxx Thread Starter

On full load, CPU reaches no higher than 35C. I've run tons of stress tests, highest it hit was 37C after 2-3hrs of full test load (overclock testing)

As for the GPU, i've reached about 78C after a full load for around 15-20 minutes.

CPU is monitored via speedfan and GPU is measured via EVGA overclock scanner (i'm not overclocking, since there really is no need to with the games I play).

Thanks loads for your help! And I hope this thread helps someone in the near future.... I'll post up results later on this afternoon.

14. xxgokouxx

xxgokouxx Thread Starter

back with results.... so far i think the video card's settled in, 75C max. As for the CPU, 26C max. This is with stock clock, i'm going OC later on today when i have time. =]

15. Megabite

Megabite

Understood....

The GPU seems a little high

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/970902

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice