1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

BSOD, very specific timing.

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Konkurada, Feb 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Konkurada

Konkurada Thread Starter

I'm new to these forums, so hopefully this is in the right place.

For the past six months or so my computer has started blue-screening semi-frequently. These blue screens only occur between the 5 second and 10 second marks of a youtube video. This problem used to occur once every week or two, but it has started occurring almost daily as of the past couple weeks. Once I restart the system after crashing it will work fine for the day, then the crash will return much later.

Someone looked through my event viewer logs for me and told me that everything looked alright, but that this line:
    "Description: The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk1\DR9" warranted investigation and suggested I have a hard drive issue. I have no external hard drives or flash drives.

I have attempted:
    -sfc/scannow resulted in an all clear.
    -CHKDSK/r resulted in an all clear.
    -Attempted to use SeaTools for DOS, was unable to get it going and used SeaTools for windows. Resulted in an all clear.

I would love to hear any suggestions as to where to go from here or if you have had a similar problem. Thanks in advance :)

2. Wimalaya

Wimalaya

3. Konkurada

Konkurada Thread Starter

Hello Wimalaya and thank you for your speedy reply!

I have run WhoCrashed and the results came back completely consistent. Every crash in the list is identical, but here is the most recent:

On Tue 2/17/2015 2:05:13 AM GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\021615-62416-01.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: atikmdag.sys (atikmdag+0x277CE)
    Bugcheck code: 0xA0000001 (0x5, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0)
    Error: CUSTOM_ERROR
    file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\atikmdag.sys
    product: ATI Radeon Family
    company: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
    description: ATI Radeon Kernel Mode Driver
    A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: atikmdag.sys (ATI Radeon Kernel Mode Driver, Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.).
    Google query: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. CUSTOM_ERROR

4. trogdo

trogdo

I blame the ATI drivers. Have you tried updating/reinstalling the drivers?

5. Wimalaya

Wimalaya

indeed, as it says:
    Konkurada, also, whenever posting a question, it is recommended to copy and paste your system info along with it..
    you could run this SysInfo Tool

6. Konkurada

Konkurada Thread Starter

I had posted my system info using that utility in the little box in my profile, didn't realize I needed to post it too haha. Here is the info:
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD FX(tm)-6300 Six-Core Processor, AMD64 Family 21 Model 2 Stepping 0
    Processor Count: 6
    RAM: 8156 Mb
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon R7 200 Series, -2048 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 953516 MB, Free - 375355 MB;
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd., 970A-DS3P
    Antivirus: avast! Antivirus, Updated and Enabled

I did some googling around in regards to that driver and found that it was part of the "AMD Catalyst Control Center" and was causing similar problems for other people.
    In regards to updating the drivers, I was unable to find drivers for my card. Every google link to the drivers for my card resulted in a handling error from the AMD website.

7. Wimalaya

Wimalaya

ah woops, my bad i overlooked it, no need to post it then.

i have used Snappy Driver in the past to update my drivers, and it did a good job at it, maybe you coud give it a go

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1143216

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice