1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

BSoD when installing Microsoft Updates

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by dmaximob, Jun 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dmaximob

dmaximob Thread Starter

I was in the middle of installing some Microsoft Updates when I got the BSoD shown in the attachment.
    I don't remember exactly what all of the updates were for, but I do know that there were some driver updates for a couple plotters. I'm pretty sure that one of those is what is giving me problems.
    When I try to "Start Windows Normally" I get the BSoD and end up back at the "How do you want to start Windows" black screen. If I try to "Start in Safe Mode" I get to the Windows login screen. However, my attempts to login with the correct username/password have failed.
    Here is what I am thinking is my problem. Yesterday, the IT guy we hired to switch us over to a new Server machine finished up. Our usernames remained the same, the password went from xxxxxx to Xxxxxx1, and our Network Domain(?) name changed.
    I do not believe a restore point was set up for the new Server setup.
    A couple of questions: At the Safe Mode login screen, is it still trying to "login" to the old network? If so, my new password is wrong and if my old password is the correct one, the Server doesn't exist to login to.
    I was able to boot from the XP cd, but when I tried to repair XP I got the BSoD again.
    Any suggestions as to what my options are at this point? I know I probably need to disable some drivers to fix the BSoD, but don't know how to get into Windows.
    Thanks for any input you might have.

Attached Files:

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!