1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

BSOD when playing games usually a few minutes in

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by elliotP890, Jan 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. elliotP890

elliotP890 Thread Starter

basically when I play games after a couple of minutes I suddenly get these blue screen crashes so I ran WhoCrashed and got these reports:

computer name: ELLIOT-PC
    windows version: Windows 7 Service Pack 1, 6.1, build: 7601
    windows dir: C:\Windows
    Hardware: XPS 8300 , Dell Inc., 0Y2MRG
    CPU: GenuineIntel Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2120 CPU @ 3.30GHz Intel586, level: 6
    4 logical processors, active mask: 15
    RAM: 4276572160 total
    VM: 2147352576, free: 1927077888

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Crash Dump Analysis
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crash dump directory: C:\Windows\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Tue 07/01/2014 22:45:01 GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\010714-15069-01.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x75BC0)
    Bugcheck code: 0xFC (0xFFFFF8800BBC2520, 0x800000011B461963, 0xFFFFF8800BBC1A00, 0x2)
    Error: ATTEMPTED_EXECUTE_OF_NOEXECUTE_MEMORY
    file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
    product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
    company: Microsoft Corporation
    description: NT Kernel & System
    Bug check description: This indicates that an attempt was made to execute non-executable memory.
    This might be a case of memory corruption. More often memory corruption happens because of software errors in buggy drivers, not because of faulty RAM modules. There is a possibility this problem was caused by a virus or other malware.
    The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Tue 07/01/2014 22:45:01 GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlmp.exe (nt!KeBugCheckEx+0x0)
    Bugcheck code: 0xFC (0xFFFFF8800BBC2520, 0x800000011B461963, 0xFFFFF8800BBC1A00, 0x2)
    Error: ATTEMPTED_EXECUTE_OF_NOEXECUTE_MEMORY
    Bug check description: This indicates that an attempt was made to execute non-executable memory.
    This might be a case of memory corruption. More often memory corruption happens because of software errors in buggy drivers, not because of faulty RAM modules. There is a possibility this problem was caused by a virus or other malware.
    The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Mon 06/01/2014 16:38:04 GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\010614-18501-01.dmp
    Bugcheck code: 0x7F (0x8, 0x80050031, 0x406F8, 0xFFFFF800031023FC)
    Error: UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP
    Bug check description: This bug check indicates that the Intel CPU generated a trap and the kernel failed to catch this trap.

On Wed 25/12/2013 00:35:50 GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\122513-11419-01.dmp
    Bugcheck code: 0xA (0x0, 0x2, 0x1, 0xFFFFF800030E493C)
    Error: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
    Bug check description: This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above.
    This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.

On Fri 15/11/2013 08:10:29 GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\111513-17394-01.dmp
    Bugcheck code: 0xA (0x0, 0x2, 0x1, 0xFFFFF8000309893C)
    Error: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
    Bug check description: This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above.
    This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
    The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time

I also read on some other threads about the problems maybe being BIOS not being updated so I checked for updates and apparently I have the latest version. I should also add that these games have been running fine for ages and these blue screens have only started occuring this week on games that never had issue. I do not have any overclocks either

I will post my DxDiag as well if that helps

Attached Files:

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

1. Welcome to Tech Support Guy

2. That XPS 8300 is approximately I think 3 years old if you have never opened the case and inspected the inside especially the case fans and cooling fan and fins of the CPU then I would recommend that to you as your first course of action

3. Despite the reported likelihood of it being a driver I would run memtest on at least two complete passes each pass consists of 8 to ten tests
    here is the download to make a CD
    It is an ISO so you will need to burn the CD with either windows 7 included ISO burner or a third party program
    MEMTEST
    http://www.memtest.org/

Burn CDCC for ISO
    http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/downloads-free-software.htm

Boot the computer from the CD see please the memtest link for the screen showing the test cycle image

My screenshot explains the memtest test cycle and pass cycle

Attached Files:

3. elliotP890

Alright thanks for the reply, I already checked my fans and they seem fine, one thing I forgot to say as well was that when I got Bluescreen my GPU fans (I think) started going really fast. As for that memtest I wont be able to do it right now as I'm just about to go to bed but I should have it done tomorrow evening. Do you know roughly how long it would take to complete?

And also thanks for helping

4. Macboatmaster

couple of hours at most for two passes
    in view of fans increased speed I suggest you have amore careful look for dust build up especially on CPU cooling fins and fan

Does it happen on all games, and does it happen if for instance you are not gaming but are using the graphics for instance video etc on YouTube or the like

5. elliotP890

Youtube works fine and so far I've only noticed it occurring on games and I just looked and I can see a bit of dust on the fins underneath the fans, I'll clean them out tomorrow and see if that helps

6. Macboatmaster

If you are using an air duster spray do NOT allow it to spin the fans
    Soft brush and cocktail stick will do the job

check the cooling fins of the CPU

7. elliotP890

how exactly do I boot from the CD? I've already burnt into onto a clean CD and all I'm seeing is a folder called BOOT, a readme and inside that BOOT folder a security catalogue BOOT folder and MEMTEST disc image file

8. Macboatmaster

You have not I think used the ISO burner you have simply made the cd from the file

1. Download the Windows MemTest86 ISO image.
    2. Right click on the downloaded file and select the "Extract to Here” option. This places the CD-ROM ISO image into the current folder.
    3. Use the CD burning software available on your system to create a CD-ROM using the extracted ISO image. Be sure that you create a CD image from the ISO file rather than placing a copy of the ISO file onto a data CD. Look for “Burn Image from File” or similar option under the File menu of your CD burning software.

9. elliotP890

alright I did the Memtest and let it complete 5 passes with no errors

10. Macboatmaster

that was quick from making the iso - please confirm looking at my image screenshot on post 2 that it was two complete cycles of all 8-10 tests
    Perhaps I have confused you by using the word passes and you are looking at the pass percentage of the current test

Memtest86+ runs indefinately unless you stop it. It does however repeat the
    same tests over and over again. Memtest86+ contains a number of different
    tests which each take different approaches in trying to expose any errors in
    your memory. In the top right of your screen you can see the progress of
    each test in the lower of the two progress bars. The topmost progress bar
    shows the progress of a pass, each pass consists of all the tests in the
    memtest suite.

See my screenshot - on the top right you will see the test being run - test 4
    you need to wait until that goes test 8 or 10 depends on the system
    then repeat the cycle

11. elliotP890

After posting that post about how to boot from cd I just googled it and found out about the restart thing where I press f12 when launching at select it on the menu that comes up, I then went out for a couple of hours and when I came back it had 5 passes done and was about 9% through the 6th pass it said, sorry I didn't post I found out what to do but i was in a bit of a rush

12. Macboatmaster

OK - well as long as you are certain - in 2 hours it has certainly done more than the once cycle of the 8 tests
    How was the recheck on the cleanliness of the cpu fins etc

Send me the dump files please
    c drive
    windows
    minidump
    open that
    right click dump - (send the last three)
    send to compressed
    then attach that on reply please using go advanced and attach file

Try please installing this driver for you 560Ti card
    http://uk.download.nvidia.com/Windo...n8-win7-winvista-64bit-international-whql.exe

yours is outdated

13. elliotP890

yeah the fan seems fine now, cant see anymore dust on it

Attached Files:

14. Macboatmaster

I have edited my last please try that driver whilst I examine the dump
    It will take about an hour or so to check all three

15. elliotP890

ok will do

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1117031

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice