1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

BSOD when trying to repair/reinstall windows.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Ubaro, Feb 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ubaro

Ubaro Thread Starter

Hello, first post here.

Little backstory: I got this computer from a friend of mine for relatively cheap price around 10 months ago. For some reason it woudn't boot up so I did a full reinstall of Windows XP. The computer worked flawlessly until up around November, thats when I started getting random crashes, freezes and BSODs every 2-3 days. I thought this problem was somehow related to steam because it only crashed when i was playing steam games. But latley it has been crashing non-stop 2-3 times a day. Until today when it crashed and when I tried restart the computer it said something along the lines of
    "File missing or corrupt "system32/windows/config".

I tried to use recovery console but as soon as I select disk C ( the only option) and press eneter it gives me another bluescreen with the "Registry Error" message. Same thing happens when i try to reinstall windows I get another BSOD right after i accept Terms of Use and agreement. I now cannot log into windows or reinstall/repair.

Here are some of the blue screen errors that I saw
    IRQL_LESS_THEN_OR_EQUAL
    DRIVER_IRQL_LESS_THEN_OR_EQUAL

And these errors only started happening today
    PFN_LIST_CORRUPT
    REGISTRY_ERROR
    (and another error that I don't remember, it had the word CONFIG in it, sorry)

Another thing i noticed is that past month or so, my computer took a really long time to start up. Like over 2 mins or so.

I think this might be a hardware issue, does anyone have any idea on what is going on and how I can fix this? I am not really computer savvy, so I would appreciate more detailed instructions, explanations of some terms.

Any help at all is welcome

2. pip22

pip22

It could be hard drive wear and failure, which cannot be fixed except by replacing the drive.
    To confirm if this is the case, test it with the drive maker's DOS diagnostic software which runs from a bootable CD.
    The links are here: http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287

Should there not be any maker's diagnostic software available for your hard drive (eg Toshiba drives) you can use Seagate SeaTools for DOS from here: http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads/seatools/

Now create a bootable CD from the downloaded ISO file, using IMGBurn: http://filehippo.com/download_imgburn/

When you've made the CD, boot your faulty PC from it to test the hard drive (use the long test if available, sometimes called an Extended Test).

3. Ubaro

Ubaro Thread Starter

I am not really good with computers but from what you said, I need to download the drive diagnostic software, burn it on a CD and insert it in the broken PC. Boot from CD and there should appear options to start the diagnostic?

4. Ubaro

Ubaro Thread Starter

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

Memory is very likely with random errors. Disk tests will fail or be wrong if memory is faulty.

MemScope (Floppy and CD images.)
    Roadkil's RAM Test
    Microsoft Memory Test (floppy or CD ISO image)
    Memtest86

If you have enough memory sticks, you can test them by removing one at a time and see if the problem disappears.

If you are running Vista or 7, tap F8 on boot and choose the memory diagnostic, or if you can boot up, go to Start > Search and type:

mdsched.exe

Choose to run a memory diagnostic on next boot. Or, you can boot from the DVD and run it from there.

6. Ubaro

Ubaro Thread Starter

Alright, I ran memtest and it came up with one bad stick, the other stick showed no errors afetr 13 passes. But the computer still wouldn't boot up and still displayed "Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM"

I tried running seagate tools but it didn't work and just gave me a message "FreeDOS FAT KERNEL" and thats it.

7. Ubaro

Ubaro Thread Starter

So does anyone know whats going on with my computer? Is there any hope of fixing it?

Or shoul;d I be looking into buying a new HD as well as RAM?

8. Ubaro

Ubaro Thread Starter

Bump, can anyone help me with my issue?

9. jakey8

jakey8 Banned

If it's a problem with only one stick, open up the motherboard, and take out a stick, until you can boot into Windows.

10. cocoam

cocoam

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1040609

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice