1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

BSOD when windows tries to load RAID driver on system with no RAID<input type=

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by pugetsails, Jun 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pugetsails

pugetsails Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.40GHz, x86 Family 15 Model 3 Stepping 4
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 1022 Mb
    Graphics Card:
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 250003 MB, Free - 225853 MB; D: Total - 226925 MB, Free - 226852 MB;
    Motherboard: Dell Inc. , 0U7077, , ..CN481114B601BJ.
    Antivirus: Norton Internet Security, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

Originally every 2 - 3 mos., now every 2 - 3 wks. during windows startup I get a blue screen "A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer"

I disconnect power, wait a couple of minutes and restart. It restarts normally, then I get "The system has recovered from a serious error - please tell Microsoft". I send error report.

Windows error reporting responds "Download and install driver for RAID controller from Intel website".

I follow the link and download iata_env.exe but when I try to run it I get "This computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing the software". This doesn't surprise me since I do not have a RAID controller on this system.

My question is - how do I stop Windows from looking for RAID drivers to load at startup? There is no RAID controller listed in Device Manager so I can't disable it there.

This started some months after I upgraded some Intel drivers (about 2 yrs ago) but I do not know what they were or how to un-upgrade them.

2. ViperFan

ViperFan

First Name:
    Charlie
    Question: In your BIOS setup, is there a RAID enabled? If you're not running a RAID, then disable it. My guess this could be the driver looking to make the RAID function where no such hardware exists.

If you go into your control panel, systems, device manager, and look for the Intel devices in which you upgraded the drivers, you can highlight the device and click on the driver tab and there should be a tab to roll back the driver to the old one.

Since what I have pointed out is merely a guestimate, I would go with turning the RAID off in the BIOS first to see if that cures your computer's blue screens. Best of luck.

3. pugetsails

Thanks for the suggestions.

The BIOS is factory set to "RAID AUTODETECT/AHCI=ON" (use RAID if signed drive otherwise AHCI) RAID OFF is not offered as an option.

The SATA driver does not have a roll-back copy available.

I just remembered I had to replace the hard drive about the time this started so maybe I am fighting a compatibility problem or a transient H/W problem. That would better explain the irregularity its occurrence.

4. ViperFan

ViperFan

First Name:
    Charlie
    You're quite welcome. You mentioned the SATA does not have a roll-back, but is there a chance the manufacturer may have an updated driver that is newer than the one you had used before? RAID Autodetect is fine, but can you manually set it to RAID 0 for a single drive?

I can guess my ideas may not work, but there's a chance you may have overlooked one of them. It's worth bouncing this off of you before you start replacing hardware. At least this is free! :)

Have an incredible weekend and good luck!

5. pugetsails

After a lot more research I find this is a known occasional problem when reinstalling Windows XP on a Dell Dimension 8400. It is supposedly fixed by upgrading the Intel Application Accelerator to a version 4.5 that Dell has available (not to the latest version 7 or 8 from Intel, which will not install on this system). We shall see.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1002624

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice