1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

BSOD (Win32k.sys)

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Asystole, May 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Asystole

Asystole Thread Starter

Edit; My thread seems to have messed up the format of the page, so i'm sorry :3

Hello, first post :) Prepare for a long one, I truly appreciate it if you can read it. I'll try to bold the bits that seem most important.

I'm having a little issue with my PC, though it's not really causing any major distress at the moment.

First a little background, which might also explain why i'm getting the BSOD if i'm unlucky enough that it's my ram or OS installation.. I have a PC (shock horror) that's around 1.5-2 years old. After about a year or a little more the hard drive started to click and freeze, and eventually went to hell; I got that replaced at the beginning of this year (got the PC back on the 30th January). Sort of ironic that it happens right outside of the warranty. But yeah - as of the end of January brand new hard drive and freshly installed Vista.

So for the past 3 months i've been running comfortably, faster than before in fact. I mostly use it for gaming, playing a free MMO and Battlefield 2. No problems running games. 2 days ago an old MMO I used to play was re-released. The graphics are very old and outdated so my PC runs it easily, albeit in a very low resolution. Last night, I had the first BSOD i've ever had on this PC. Unfortunately it was set to autorestart so I didn't manage to get all the information down, all I managed to grab was that it was referring to the file "Win32k.sys". I was running this outdated game at the time. I've pulled up the system logs from event viewer and this is the only error I could find around the time of the BSOD:

"The previous system shutdown at 03:44:16 on 02/05/2009 was unexpected."

I then looked for more logs around the specified time of shutdown, and the closest thing I could find was an error that was recorded AFTER I had rebooted:

"Driver detected an internal error in its data structures for ." (02/05/2009 03:45:54)

I could not find ANY other errors or information logs at the time of crash.

Then tonight, I got another BSOD, same reason, and it happened whilst I was playing the same game again. Stupidly I still hadn't configured it to NOT auto restart after a BSOD, so I checked my logs and I found this under system logs:

"The previous system shutdown at 19:52:04 on 02/05/2009 was unexpected."

Double checked for any events at 19:52:04 or around that time and all it yielded was the following three information points under Application Logs.

"A request to disable the Desktop Window Manager was made by process (4008)"
    "The Desktop Window Manager was unable to start because composition was disabled by a running application"
    "The Desktop Window Manager did not start because an analysis of the hardware and configuration indicated that it would perform poorly"

However I actually get these messages every time I start the game, or tab out and back into it, so i'm unsure they have anything to do with the BSOD.

Anyway, I'm sorry if there is no useful information in here for you to possibly help me. Unfortunately, I can't actually provide you with any more information until it BSOD's on me again. I'm playing the game on purpose to see if it triggers another crash. I'm also going to leave my computer on overnight to see if anything happens. It seems as if it may be being caused by the game, but I don't really know anything about computers. I will update this thread as I go.

2. Asystole

Asystole Thread Starter

Just one more point:

The first BSOD came after around 15 hours of the game running (left it idle whilst sleeping then continued later)

The second BSOD occurred after around 10 hours of play.

.. hey it was a weekend :p

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/823790

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice