1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

BSOD with "power driver state failure"

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Kengels, Mar 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kengels

Kengels Thread Starter

Last night, when sending my computer to stand by I received the BSOD which included a message saying "power driver state failure" or something along those lines.

I recently reset my computer to the factory settings (via recovery disc), so the problem could be any of the dozens of applications I've installed since. This is the second time I received the BSOD since resetting my computer.

I suspect the problem might be related to my optical drive. Basically, what happens is that sometimes the drive will just stop working. It still shows up in "My Computer", but labeled as "CD Drive" rather than "DVD-RAM Drive" as it normally does, and it won't recognize any disk that is inserted. A reboot of the system usually "fixes" the problem, but not always. I also had this problem before resetting my computer.

I'm including the minidump files here. I tried looking at them myself--I installed and ran the Windows Debugger, which came back with a message "Probably caused by : ntoskrnl.exe ( nt+5c846 )" But the debugger also gave a number of warnings about my "symbols" not loading properly.

I don't need to contact a semiotician, do I?

K

Attached Files:

2. shadow6224

shadow6224

Uh, ntoskrnl.exe is uh, windows NT. a very very very VERY old version. what windows OS are you running?

3. lovelysweet_gaby

lovelysweet_gaby

i also need help with my computer i kept getting a blue screen saying driver power state failure
    i have an hp tx2510us windows vista

[​IMG]

4. shadow6224

shadow6224

5. lovelysweet_gaby

lovelysweet_gaby

Kengels: I think we might have the same problem because when i plug in a usb it wont recognize it sometimes. I honestly dont want to reboot my system because wont that loose all my files? which is why i have inserted the restore to factory settings disk

shadow6224: I am not sure what windows OS im running?

6. shadow6224

shadow6224

You don't know? like, is it win xp? vista? 7?

7. Kengels

Kengels Thread Starter

Ah, sorry for ignoring this thread, I didn't realize I had any replies.

shadow6224: I'm currently running XP with SP3 installed. It's old, but not *that* old!

Anyway, it's been any two weeks, and I haven't had any BSODs since. It's cold comfort though, because I haven't resolved the issue, and I just know that damned screen is lurking around the corner.

I'm going to run a memtest scan sometime later (I probably should have done so before posting, but I can't have my computer sidelined right now), but I really do think it has something to do with my dvd drive.

Thanks for the replies.

8. Kengels

Kengels Thread Starter

It just occurred to me after reading that link: I have DAEMON Tools Lite installed on my system. Could this be the cause of the problem? Perhaps some kind of driver conflict or something?

9. shadow6224

shadow6224

did you look at the link I posted?

10. Kengels

Kengels Thread Starter

Yeah, I looked at the link.

Unfortunately, it wasn't much help, as I don't have "hamachi.sys" in my system, nor have I installed Kaspersky. It looks like I'm dealing with a different issue.

From what I understand, a "power driver state failure" could be the result of any kind of driver problem. And knowing that "ntoskrnl.exe" is the culprit isn't exactly narrowing it down either.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/985894

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice