1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

BSOD

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by mkdsk, May 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mkdsk

mkdsk Thread Starter

First Name:
    Mark
    I am getting the "blue screen of death". How do I fix that? It is on Windows 10.

2. Paul23

Paul23 Temporarily Banned

First Name:
    Paul
    What is the error code on the Blue screen? You can find by clicking the start button, click the control panel(or type it in the box and hit enter) , click on "performance and maintenance" , click on "administative tools" , click on "computer management" , find "event viewer" and click it. Post the error code here on the forum.

3. mkdsk

mkdsk Thread Starter

First Name:
    Mark
    I clicked event viewer but where do I find the error code?

4. mkdsk

mkdsk Thread Starter

First Name:
    Mark
    Any help?

5. Paul23

First Name:
    Paul
    Sure. Just left click on "file Explorer" . Right click on "This PC' . Left click "Advanced system settings" . Left click the "Advanced" tab. Left click the "settings" button under startup and recovery. Uncheck the box "Automatically Restart" under system failure and left click "OK" . Now your PC will not restart on a blue screen and you will have time to write the code down.

6. mkdsk

mkdsk Thread Starter

First Name:
    Mark
    I am at the desk top. The blue screen doesn't happen right when I power up the computer, it happens when I go to play an online game like Mine Craft. How do I find the code that you need after I click on event viewer?

7. mkdsk

mkdsk Thread Starter

First Name:
    Mark
    the code I found is 0xc000000f

8. Paul23

First Name:
    Paul
    Ok. This can be a few things. BCD is corrupted, file system is corrupted or a faulty HDD cable. Do you have a Windows 10 disk or usb with Windows 10 on it? Or if you know how to get to command prompt from bootup, type this command:
    bootrec.exe (if booted up to the desktop...type Command Prompt in the search box (don't hit enter) right click on the blue area above that pops up that says "Command Prompt" click "run as administrator") then type the command : bootrec.exe

Oops just read the post you posted before this last one. If this is happening when you are online and booted up then the info I got from that code is that it is most likely a faulty hard drive sata cable. If you have another one, replace it. If not, unplug both ends and re-plug it. If you have any canned air, it would be smart to blow out the sata port on the motherboard and also the sata port on the back of the hard drive before pluggin it back in.

Last edited: May 6, 2018
  9. mkdsk

mkdsk Thread Starter

First Name:
    Mark
    I don't have Windows 10 disk or usb with Windows 10 on it. Are you a tech on this site?

10. Paul23

First Name:
    Paul
  11. Paul23

First Name:
    Paul
  12. mkdsk

mkdsk Thread Starter

First Name:
    Mark
    I need detailed instructions.

13. Paul23

First Name:
    Paul
    Type CMD in the search box (don't hit enter) ...right click on the blue area that pops up above that says "Command Prompt". Select "run as administrator" . Click "OK" on the box that pops up. Type "bootrec.exe" without the quotes (hit enter)

14. Paul23

First Name:
    Paul
    On the unplugging and re-pluggin the sata cables on the hard drive and motherboard... This video should help you figure it out. You don't need to unplug the power connectors. The sata cable is the smaller one. Make sure to re-plug it in the same spot it was before (on the motherboard there will be a few sata connectors...so keep track of which one it is in and put it back in the same place) Make sure the computer is totally off and unplugged. Push the power button on the computer to drain any excess power. Touch the case before reaching inside to ground yourself. Static electricity can cause problems in the computer. If you don't feel you can do this, let a certified PC technician do it for you.

Last edited: May 6, 2018
  15. mkdsk

mkdsk Thread Starter

First Name:
    Mark
    So unplugging the sata cable and re plugging it in will stop a blue screen?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1209806

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice