1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Bsod

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by villan_1, Jul 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. villan_1

villan_1 Thread Starter

Ok booted up my DELL pc this morning and got teh BSOD, i can't think of any reason why done my usual scans yesterday everything was fine and no new programs or changes have been made. I just want to see is there anyway i can get to the stuff on my hard drive as ironicaly today was my backup day and i have a lot of files that i need to access, but will it just come to me having to reformat my PC

any help would be greatthe quicker the better as i need to sort out whether i will need to start from scratch or can try and fix it (so far i opened it up resat the RAM for all that would do), some images of it below

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

if worse coems to worse, can anyoen tell me why i got teh BSOD

2. bonk

bonk Banned

Can you start in Safe Mode?

How to Start in Safemode

1. Restart your computer.
    2. Before the windows logo you should gently tap the F8 key repeatedly until you are presented with a Windows XP Advanced Options menu.
    3. Select the option for Safe Mode using the arrow keys.
    4. Then press enter on your keyboard to boot into Safe Mode.

3. villan_1

villan_1 Thread Starter

i tried it already (sorry i forgot to mention) tried safe mode, safe mode in command prompt and windows normally but it always leads to teh blue screen

4. bonk

bonk Banned

Do you have the Operating System on CD ??

5. villan_1

villan_1 Thread Starter

yea i got the cd, does this mean i need to totally reformat or can i salvage any of the stuff on the hard drive

6. bonk

bonk Banned

No not yet....

To start the Recovery Console directly from the Windows XP CD you would do the following:

Insert the Windows XP cd in your computer.

Restart your computer so you are booting off of the CD.

When the Welcome to Setup screen appears, press the R button on your keyboard to start the Recovery Console.

The Recovery Console will start and ask you which Windows installation you would like to log on to. If you have multiple Windows installations, it will list each one, and you would enter the number associated with the installation you would like to work on and press enter. If you have just one Windows installation, type 1 and press enter.

It will then prompt you for the Administrator's password. If there is no password, simply press enter. Otherwise type in the password and then press enter. If you do not know your password then see this.

If you entered the correct password you will now be presented with a C:\Windows> prompt and you can start using the Recovery Console.

Once in Recovery Console blalck screen white lettering

Type chkdsk /f and press Enter key and restart the PC...it will perform some checks ..let it finish

7. villan_1

villan_1 Thread Starter

ok, thanks i sahll give this a go and get back to you

8. villan_1

villan_1 Thread Starter

ok it wouldnt let me run chkdsk /f while in recovery console i ran chkdsk and chkdsk /r and it highlighted one error i rebooted my pc and it loaded up ( i chose safe mode) i have been backing up some important files.

should i now try and run chkdsk /f in command prompt, or carry out some different actions to make sure my PC is fine / stop this happening again

9. bonk

bonk Banned

See if it starts in Normal Mode first now

10. villan_1

villan_1 Thread Starter

ok will do, i shall get back to you later

11. villan_1

villan_1 Thread Starter

ok i am currently able to boot fine in normal mode, should i still run chkdsk /f ?

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/590488

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice