1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Bsod

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Jaymzmcewan, Oct 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jaymzmcewan

Jaymzmcewan Thread Starter

Hey guys,

Having trouble with Vista at the moment. Installed it about a week ago and after a few days it crashed while running a couple of programs and kept showing me the bsod saying something along the lines of doing a crash dump and physical memory.

I restarted the computer numerous times, selecting start in safe mode, normal mode and last known good configuration lots of times. It would mostly only just get passed bios, sometimes getting to the loading windows screen and very occasionally getting to the desktop - but always showing the bsod.

Also, i ran the windows memory diagnostic and that came up with a problem.

So i left my computer off over night and turned it on the next day and everything was running fine again. No problems until again today (3 days later) i got shown the same bsod. Running the memory diagnostic this time showed nothing wrong. It took about 2-3 hours to get it to turn on again, and now its fine.

Not quite sure what the problem is: hardware or virus but i'd like to hear any ideas.

I have 2gb ram, intel pentium 4 3.2ghz, running windows vista.

Just some extra information, i went to event viewer and it shows the critical error event-id 100, if that helps.

Thanks.

James.

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Run the memory diagnostic again (mdsched.exe) and choose the extended tests. You might also want to try memtest86 -- a more thorough tester

Beginners Guides: Diagnosing Bad Memory

Memtest86 - A Stand-alone Memory Diagnostic

If it tells you there is a problem -- that means you have faulty ram. Sometimes reseating may help -- but you may need to replace. 1 or more modules.

Are these problems only occuring after the system has been on for an extended time? Could be a heat issue in that case.

Did you build the system yourself?

Also, if you can upload some minidumps, that might be helpful in confirming a hardware problem:

I can run a debugging utility on the dump files if you do this:

1 > create a new folder on the desktop and call it "dumpcheck" or whatever you like
    2 > navigate to c:\windows\minidump and copy the last few minidump files to that folder. *this assumes 'c' is your boot drive, if it is not, subsitute accordingly
    3 > close the folder and right click on it and select Send to Compressed (zipped) Folder.
    4 > use the "manage attachments" in the "advanced" reply window to upload that zip file here as an attachment.

This might point us to a 3rd party driver causing the error, if one exists for it.

3. Jaymzmcewan

Jaymzmcewan Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply.

I ran the extended test and it came up with no errors.

These problems occur at random times, sometimes after the computer has been off for a long time so i dont think its a heat issue. (especially because about 1 month ago i replaced the stock cooler on the cpu and added an extra case fan with success.)

I did build the system myself, upgraded the ram about a month ago when i added the fans.

When the computer restarts itself the bios doesnt beep.

Ive attached the minidumps.

Attached Files:

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I can't get anything definitive out of the dumps; it looks like you were running Roxio on each of these crashes -- and that might be an issue if something is corrupt or incompatible there.

Is the Roxio version one that is Vista compatible -- or did you install a previous version?

Are your display drivers up to date? Have you run chkdsk on the drive?

Are you confident the Power Supply is up to the job?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758774

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice