1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Bsod

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by mrwonder808, Jan 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mrwonder808

mrwonder808 Thread Starter

Hi there

I've just joined, so a warm hello to everyone that's on here. Got a bloody BSOD!! haven't had them for a while. My sister gave me her laptop which had vista on it, so I formatted and replaced it with Windows 7 so its pretty fresh at the moment.

My laptop seems to be working fine, its only when I leave it alone that the screen is black so I have to keep the power button pressed for few seconds for it to reboot my system. So I'm guessing it crashing when it goes to sleep mode? I think it crashed once when I was on the laptop one time.

I have attached the error codes which windows give me when I restart. Any advice or help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

Hello and welcome to TSG.

Your error message looks more like a Windows 6 or Vista one. Did you upgrade from Vista or install over it?

3. neil21stirling

neil21stirling

Won't completely solve your problem obviously but Ive always found sleep modes and hibernation with windows a hassle, worth changing your power settings on the laptop to something which is more suitable for you if you leave your laptop on for instances of prolonged time.

This would certainly stop it going into sleep mode or hibernation after small amounts of time

4. mrwonder808

Thank you for the quick responses.

I did a reformat of the laptop. I've just closed my laptop lid down to test it out. The screen went blank but stays blank when I opened the lid up again. Strange. but thanks for the input guys.

5. neil21stirling

neil21stirling

Did you format before installation of Windows 7 or did you format during 7 installation?

6. mrwonder808

hey, I did it before the installation of Windows 7 if that helps.

7. neil21stirling

neil21stirling

Couple of things to try first,
    1st thing would be to update your graphics card to latest drivers. (if you need help doing this let me know)

Next thing would be to check if your bios is up to date. More than likely not, so getting the latest version of BIOS for your machine and updating is defiantely recommended. (again if you need this explained let me know - along witht he make and model of your machine)

8. mrwonder808

Okay thanks Neil. Will do that now and see if it helps. Willget back to you if anything. Cheers dude

9. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

A lot of sleeping laptops require just a light touch on the power button to wake them up. A long press will force a system shutdown and that could also lead to a blue screen on restarting.

10. mrwonder808

I've updated the graphics to the latest driver and so far so good. Thanks for all the helps guys and will update you if anything arises.

11. neil21stirling

neil21stirling

So did the Graphics driver update control the problem? tbh I was sure you might need the biod update. let us know if youve solved your issue?

12. mrwonder808

Hey

Its definitely when the laptop goes to sleep. So I've tried to update the BIOS but ran into another problem. I couldn't run the .EXE Bios driver downloaded from dell because the laptop, although it works plugged in, it doesn't charge and sticks to 0% charged and a message appears saying that the battery has to have atleast 10% before it can run. I've found out it couldt either be just the pin with connects the charger to the battery charger, or a defect in the board. thanks for all da help guys.

13. neil21stirling

neil21stirling

From what your saying im assuming youve tested the battery itself? and works fine (e.g. in another laptop, or using electrical testing equipment)

I mainly ask since 9 times out of 10 if a battery is not charging then, the battery itself is the problem. How old is the laptop? Most laptop batteries (especially dell's) only have a life expectancy of around 2years sometimes give or take 6-8months.

If however it is the charger, you can get replacements pretty cheap.

Also im not stating this may be the problem, but the problem of your battery not charging may also be whats causing your BSOD and issue's with pc going to sleep.
    Definately worth sorting battery issue first, then updating your BIOS afterwards.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/974621

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice