Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

BSOD's...New Build.

2K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  win2kpro 
#1 ·
Not sure if this belongs in the hardware forum, but more than likely.

I just upgraded my computer...see below for specs. I've built many computers, so I know my way around the hardware.Everything was running fine. No problems installing windows. The first BSOD I noticed was not long after I was finished installing windows. I left my computer running for a couple hours and when I returned it was sitting at the BSOD. I figured it was just a glitch, so I just restarted and everything seemed fine. Then I was playing in a game and it happened again. This time I recorded the stop error:

0x0000000A (0x00000019, 0x0000001c, 0x00000000, 0x804FC886)

I thought maybe my temps were getting too high while in the game, but they didn't seem too bad when I checked them. I didn't write them down, but I went ahead and checked my cpu fan and adjusted it a bit to ensure that it was seated properly. I checked the temps again and they were lower, but it was probably just a coinceidemce. Anyway, I didn't see any more BSOD's for a couple days and I thought I was over them until just a while ago I went to install my printer and when I inserted the disk I get another BSOD...

0x0000000A (0xFFFFFFFC, 0x0000001c, 0x00000000, 0x8050184F)

Anybody know how to read these, and can tell me what they mean?

Thanks...RC

See less See more
#3 ·
Wow, that was fast. Thanks Jazz, I'm checking it out.

I'll let you know what I find.

#4 ·
Does the Q6600 you are running have G0 or B3 stepping? The sSpec number for the G0 stepping processor is SLACR, and for B3 stepping SL9UM? If you purchased an Intel boxed processor (processor and cooler) the sSpec code will be the last 5 digits of the PROD CODE sticker on the end of the box in which the processor was shipped. Post your stepping or sSpec code.

What is the EXACT make and model of your power supply? Please post a link to your power supply.

#5 ·
The CPU is an OEM. It came in a bundle I bought online. But, I've been around enough and I figured that some day I may need to know all of the details on the chip so I took a picture of it. You can see it here:

Here's a link to my power supply:

http://www.ultraproducts.com/product_details.php?cPath=61&pPath=666&productID=666

Thanks for looking into it for me.

RC

By the way, I just walked back into my office from being gone for a couple hours and found another BSOD:

0x0000000A (0x000000C8, 0x0000001C, 0x00000001, 8C4FC886)

#7 ·
#8 ·
Problems that are intermittent can be hard to diagnose. You stated that things were fine for a couple of days then you got the BSOD again.

I would start by accessing BIOS and checking the temperatures and voltages. Please post all the temperatures and voltages. Next download Memtest 86+ from http://www.memtest.org/ make a floppy or CD with Memtest, boot the machine and let Memtest test the memory. Let it run for at least 4 full passes on the memory, and see if it comes up with any errors.

Next, go to the HDD manufacturers websites and download their diagnostic utility, and test each drive. If the utility has an extended test use that test so that it tests all sectors.

How is your case thermal design, i.e. how many and what size intake and exhaust fans do you have in the case?

#10 ·
Did you check with OCZ for compatibility before purchasing the memory?
No, but thankfully it is compatable. I have been searching and reading some posts over at the OCZ forums since you posted that and I have read several other people asking if this memory is compatable with the same board, and the OCZ techs always come back with a yes. So, dodged a bullet there. I didn't even know that memory and motherboards have to be compatable with each other now. Guess I been out of it too long. This is my first build in about five years. Five years ago the only thing that mattered was they needed to be matched to utilize the dual channel.

Anyway, while I was waiting to hear back, last night I decided to do some testing and I ram memtest86 on my memory sticks. I started out testing them in pairs and the first pair tested OK. But the second pair kept hanging the program at the no. 5 test, so I removed one stick and tested one at a time. Sure enough, the second one (and last, but not least) stick I tested had a kazillion errors right at the no. 5 test. I'm pretty sure that is the root of all my problems...off to the shredder for that ram. Just kidding, I have already emailed OCZ about it and I expect to rma it. I just bought it so it shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks guys for all the help. I really appreciate it. Thanks win2kpro for doing the research about the compatibility issue. This is a great forum. I like it a lot.:up:;):)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.