1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

BSODs, not sure what's causing them

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by user28, Jan 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. user28

user28 Thread Starter

Hello, I've been having a lot of BSODs with my computer. Here are my specs:

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
    CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1055T
    Memory: OCZ DDR3 1333 2x 2GB
    Motherboard: Asus M4A87TD EVO
    Video Card: nVidia GeForce GT 430
    Power supply: OCZ ModXStream 600W

I've been getting BSODs almost all the time for a while now. When it first started it was mostly when I'm playing games. Sometimes it happened after a few minutes and sometimes after a few hours. There were a just a couple of other times where there was a BSOD while I was doing other things like browsing the web. The errors were usually different but most of the them mentioned the "atikmdag.sys" file. I used to have an ATI video card and thought that was probably what was causing the BSODs so since then I changed it to the nvidia one I currently have. That seemed to fix some of it. The BSODs are much less frequent now and I can go through an entire day or game without one sometimes but they still happen and again it's either during games or randomly like while I'm on YouTube or something. They're still mostly different, I probably had one that mentioned "driver irql not less or equal" and "nvlddmkm" or something like that but it's more often a "system service exception" and mentions "win32k.sys".

I've updated drivers, ran memtest and FurMark and nothing came up. I also upgraded the hard drive and reformatted at some point but this problem was happening before I did that. I'm not OCing and I left everything in the BIOS at the defaults. I did try changing the memory voltages and timings but I don't know if that really helped much. I don't know what else it could be, I'm thinking that maybe it could be the motherboard but I'd like to get some other opinions first. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

2. joeten

joeten

3. user28

user28 Thread Starter

Attached Files:

4. joeten

joeten

Hi try asking phantom 010 to have a look at them he knows more about mini dumps etc

5. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

user28, I received your private message.

Two minidumps point to nvlddmkm.sys, a NVIDIA display adapter driver. If you have the latest driver, try uninstalling and reinstalling it. If no luck, try an older version.

6. user28

user28 Thread Starter

Thanks phantom. I've uninstalled, reinstalled, and did try using older drivers and the problem still persists, although still less frequently.

I also get some TDR errors from time to time saying something about the display driver has stopped responding and recovered successfully. It usually mentions the nvidia kernel mode driver. Not sure if this is related to the BSODs in any way, but this also happens occasionally when I play games.

7. joeten

joeten

8. CaptainDebugger

CaptainDebugger

9. joeten

joeten

A very good man to take advice from in that link (usama)

10. CaptainDebugger

CaptainDebugger

Indeed He is one of the guru's in BSOD

11. user28

user28 Thread Starter

I ran the graphics stress test and didn't come across any problems.

From the link you provided about TDR errors I downloaded and ran Video Memory Stress Test 1.7.116. I'm not sure if I did it incorrectly or not since there weren't really any instructions, I left all the options at the default and when I ran it, it came back with errors. I attached the log file if that'll be of any use.

Attached Files:

• vmt.log
      File size:
      36.3 KB
      Views:
  12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!