1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

BSODs on samsung laptop while using Avast free

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by vikrant1982, Dec 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vikrant1982

vikrant1982 Thread Starter

I have a samsung laptop NP-RV509-A07IN running windows xp sp3. When i install Avast free antivirus on my machine, i start getting occasional BSODs on shutdown.

Initially i had avast free version 6.0.1289 installed which is known to cause BSODs in some scenarios, but the error codes and minidumps suggested that there was a problem with usbhub.sys. I reinstalled the usb drivers but kept on getting BSODs with error codes like "multiple irp complete requests" or "irql not less or equal" but there were no minidumps recorded although my system is set to take minidumps.

Some days later the final version of avast was released version 6.0.1367 which had all the bugs fixed. I upgraded to this version but the BSODs continued.

If i uninstall avast and install microsoft security essentials, the system starts working fine.

I have the latest drivers and utilities installed on my laptop from samsung support site (see the attached file).

I have tried cleaning the memory module and have also checked the ram by running memtest overnight which showed no problems in ram.

Please help, i really want to have avast in my system for protection against viruses.

Attached Files:

2. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

I'd stay with your posts on the Avast forum - as they may know why you are having the problem.
    As they suggest - send the minidump files to them.
    Or un-install Avast and use another free AV.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1032115

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice