BSODS when playing games

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

LJmachin

First off, here's my system spec:

Mobo: Abit KV7-V (VIA KT600 chipset)
CPU: AMD Athlon XP 3200+
RAM: 2x512MB PC3200 DDR400
Video card: Leadtek GeForce 6800 (with cooler/fan)
PSU: 400W

I've got three case fans as well as the CPU and video card fans running in my system, and the side of the case is open. I doubt overheating is the problem, but I've not ruled it out. None of my parts are overclocked either.

Anyway, whenever I play a game I'll get a variety of BSODs. It's most often the IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, but I've also had PGN_LIST_CORRUPT and PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA (nv4_disp.dll). Sometimes upon restarting I'll get UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME - only going into Safe mode will sort that problem out. This only ever happens when playing a game, although it does happen when trying to run disk cleanup too, especially when checking the 'compress old files' option.

The problems have been less prolific when unassigning an IRQ from the video card, and also when disabling the SATA controller in the BIOS. I've tried flashing the BIOS to the latest versions, but they made my computer virtually unusable - so I've reverted back to the first revision that allows 200MHz FSB CPUs.

Additionally, installing an OS is nigh on impossible with this computer. I bought an SATA HDD on Saturday, and can't get Windows on because I get the IRQL error at exactly the same point each time when doing the quick NTFS format. It took me almost a whole weekend to get what I'm using now working because of that (with my PATA HDD), and that was through pure luck.

I'm planning to get a new motherboard, as I think that could be the problem, but I'd love to know what you lot think is really causing it.

Thanks,
Lee

bonk

Banned
First thing to try take out one stick of memory and try it then take it out and try the other.

Process of elimination

LJmachin

Ok, I've taken each stick out to see if the error persists. After taking the first stick out, I got a BAD_POOL_CALLER error when running Disk Cleanup. With the first stick in and the second out, I got the PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA (nv4_disp.dll) error.

LJmachin said:
Anyway, whenever I play a game I'll get a variety of BSODs. It's most often the IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, but I've also had PGN_LIST_CORRUPT and PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA (nv4_disp.dll). Sometimes upon restarting I'll get UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME - only going into Safe mode will sort that problem out. This only ever happens when playing a game, although it does happen when trying to run disk cleanup too, especially when checking the 'compress old files' option.
You are having some kind of problem with the graphics card. Uninstall the Nvidia drivers use the "Nasty File Remover" from here http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloads28.html
then go into Device manager and delete the Nvidia device. Reboot the system and re-install the LATEST drivers, along with any updates there may be for Windows.

LJmachin

loserOlimbs said:
You are having some kind of problem with the graphics card. Uninstall the Nvidia drivers use the "Nasty File Remover" from here http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloads28.html
then go into Device manager and delete the Nvidia device. Reboot the system and re-install the LATEST drivers, along with any updates there may be for Windows.
Ok thanks, I'll do that right now.

LJmachin

Done everything loserOlimbs has said, and I've tried the disk cleanup again. I'm sure these errors are generated completely at random. I got another BSOD but it wasn't a specific error - it just said a fault with win32k.sys.

Error code 1000008e, parameter1 c000001d, parameter2 bf81b298, parameter3 b9ec6c30, parameter4 00000000.

LJmachin

Sorry about bumping but do you guys have any ideas? These damn errors are stopping me from playing B&W2! :(

EDIT: To make sure it isn't the graphics card I'm gonna try the ATi Radeon 9800Pro from my other computer and see if I still get errors running games. If I don't, then obviously the card's knackered.

LJmachin

It's taken a while, but I'm still getting errors with the Radeon 9800Pro installed, so the graphics card can't be at fault.

That leaves behind the motherboard and CPU mainly. However, is it possible that an optical drive can cause such problems? I doubt they are (otherwise I'd get errors playing CDs and DVDs, right?), but it's probably best to cover all bases.

LJmachin

Ah right. Actually, since there's a lot of IRQL... errors, I'll let MemTest run for a few passes on my RAM (one stick at a time) and see what I get. I only did that once with my last lot, so my old remaining stick might have problems.

I must be bloody unlucky if I've bought 3 sticks of RAM that all don't work though!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online