1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

BSOD's with new hardware

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by atiyah, Jan 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. atiyah

atiyah Thread Starter

Hi,

To begin, here's the hardware configuration that I'm using:
    MB: ASRock 970 Pro3
    Processor: AMD FX 8-Core
    Video Card: R7850 Core Edition
    Memory: Corsair XMS3 (two 4GB sticks)

I have recently been upgrading my system. This started with the graphics card a few months ago; I installed it on my previous motherboard (MSI G31M3-L Intel G31 Chipset LGA775 FSB 1333 DDR2) and everything worked fine. But my CPU was old and slow, and I decided that I wanted to upgrade. So last week I bought the motherboard and processor listed above (it was a combo deal on newegg, so I figured it was safe) and I got new RAM since my old RAM was DDR2 and the new motherboard only supports DDR3.

Since I installed the new hardware, the system has become rather unstable: after somewhere between half an hour and several hours of use, the computer throws up a blue screen of death, sometimes but not always with a "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" error message, and reboots. Here is some more detail:

-I installed all of the hardware and attempted to boot the system. It would not load Windows, so I reinstalled Windows from scratch (wiping all previous data).
    -Windows booted fine, and I installed the LAN driver and the HD audio driver from the disk that shipped with the motherboard.
    -I downloaded and installed drivers for my video card. I also downloaded and installed the following software: FireFox, Norton anti-virus, Steam, and 3DMark.
    -I noticed that the fans were working hard, so I downloaded speccy to monitor the system's temperatures. The CPU remained in the 25-35 degrees Celsius range, while the motherboard was typically in the mid 40's.

I do not remember exactly when in this process the problems began, though I believe it was after I had installed all of the drivers. The BSOD crashes began to occur frequently, often within 20-30 minutes of rebooting. The system would also occasionally just freeze. Searching online, I suspected the problem was either with my video drivers (I reinstalled them with no improvement) or my RAM. To test the latter hypothesis, I bought new RAM and installed it (both sets of RAM were installed in the A2, B2 slots). At first I thought the problem had gone away: the system ran for several hours without crashes (though some strange software problems did occur). Then the blue screen crashes started to occur again.

I decided to completely reinstall Windows again this morning. Windows installed without any trouble, and I installed the LAN driver and HD audio driver from the disk that came with the mother board. I downloaded and installed Firefox, and I began downloading anti-virus software. Before the download could complete, I got another blue screen crash and I decided to seek help. Given the fact that I barely installed any software before the first crash this time around, it seems unlikely to be a software error. Given the fact that I have tried two sets of RAM, it seems unlikely to be a memory error. I was able to use the graphics card with my previous motherboard for several months without incident; combined with the fact that a crash occurred before I was able to install the video card drivers, it seems unlikely that the video card is the problem. So I am out of ideas; any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

2. matthewdownloads

matthewdownloads

Those temperatures sound very low, and very suspect, especially given your fans are working hard. Check again with SpeedFan or some other software.

Have you checked in the BIOS for temperature readings?

We had an old computer that gave that exact error and had a similar problem when playing games. Dust in the CPU heatsink was causing the CPU temperature to rocket.

3. atiyah

atiyah Thread Starter

I just downloaded SpeedFan at your suggestion, and here is what it reported:
    Fan3 (presumably the fan that came with the case): about 1185RPM
    CPU Fan: 6650 RPM
    GPU Fan: 1175 RPM
    System: 45C
    CPU: 43C
    SMIOVT4,5,6: 45C
    HD0: 43C
    GPU: 55C

The CPU temperature is higher here than what speccy reported, but I don't think those are dangerous temperatures. Except maybe the GPU? The CPU is brand new, so unless I did a poor job applying thermal paste (I painted on a thin layer of Zalman) I can't imagine why the CPU would be acting up. The chassis is very old and perhaps wasn't designed for my current hardware setup, so maybe that fan could use a cleaning. But so far I haven't seen any scary looking temperatures, even in the bios (which has roughly agreed with SpeedFan I think).

Since I posted the original question, I updated the bios and it seems to have alleviated, but not eliminated, the problem. It hasn't crashed in quite awhile, and that includes a 3 hour Modern Warfare 3 session. I'm keeping my fingers crossed...

4. matthewdownloads

matthewdownloads

Those temperatures are good, the GPU temperature is normal as well. Glad you've fixed the problem :)

Edit: Hard disk is a little hot, but still in the acceptable range.

5. Amd_Man

Amd_Man

Use core temp for Amd cpus. Speedfan can give false readings on temps. What power supply are you running? Check the BIOS for the temps and voltages as suggested in post #2.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1085515

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice