BT Broadband and wireless

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

claudiamthompson

Hello,

I am asking a question on behalf of my son and daughter in law whom I am staying with temporarily. Yesterday they had BT Vision installed, with the Television. They also have a laptop computer and I have a desktop computer. They have BT Broadband.

I successfully started up my internet connection on my desktop computer but they cannot figure out how to start their laptop internet connection. And I cant get them to just call BT on the phone to find out how to do it. They read through the book and still cant get it connected. I cant read the BT book because the print is too small for me.

But anyway, I took a look on their laptop computer, the Televion BT Vision is working, and the BT Vision connection appears to be connected on the laptop computer. But still no internet connection.

They have Vista on their computer. They also have two sticky square things they stuck onto the laptop top with the BT wireless key etc. I cannot see anywhere to put in a key or password, for starters.

Can you please help with this?
I forgot to add that they normally have their wireless dongle in the laptop but I have no idea if with the BT Vision its supposed to be wireless.

I tried the following steps:

1. Click Start button
2. Click Network from the right column in the start menu
3. Click Network Center from the horizontal menu bar
4. Click Reorder wireless networks
5. Double click the wireless network you wish to edit
6. Click Security tab
7. Change the encryption type to WPA & WPA2 and enter the network security key from the sticker
8. Click OK

but that didnt work, the dongle is vodafone mobile.

Claudia

DoubleHelix

Banned
BT Vision is a broadband provider, and Vodafone is a different provider. If they have a "vodafone mobile dongle", then that's a wireless broadband modem and works with their Vodafone service. So now they have 2 Internet service providers?

What hardware did they get from BT? A wireless router? That's what they would connect to wirelessly with the internal wireless networking adapter in the laptop.

1002richards

Retired Trusted Advisor
As others have pointed out, 2 different providers. Try removing the Vodaphone dongle and going through the steps 1-8 you outlined above.

Richard

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online