1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

BT Broadband Speed.

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by TimCutler, Jan 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TimCutler

TimCutler Thread Starter

Hello & Happy New Year!

My ISP is BT & I am on the "Up To 8 Meg" package. When I use various Speed Test sites, they all show roughly the same figure of about 950 kbps for Downstream. However, when I complain to BT about this speed, they tell me to use their site: http://www.speedtester.bt.com/ & the results from the tests there confuse me.

Below are the last results I achieved & the Downstream figure is quite respectable!

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
    IP profile for your line is - 1000 kbps
    DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 2016 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 928 kbps

I have kept screen-grabs of previous tests & the IP profile for my line, (whatever that is... BT cannot give me a straight answer!), has varied such as, 1000, 1500, 2000 & 2500. There was one time when my line profile was 3500 kbps which resulted in 448 kbps Upstrem, 4224 kbps Downstream & an actual throughput of 3240 kbps.

When I use BT's site to see "How Fast Can I Go", I have had different figures on different days - anything between 3Mb & 4.5Mb

I find it hard to argue with BT's Tech Support when referring to the results from their site as they show a reasonable Downstream figure. My question is, why do all the other test sites I use show a figure of about 950 kbps for Downstream when BT's site shows a figure about double all these others?

Any help on this matter would be appreciated - thank you.

Best wishes to you all for a great 2007.

Tim Cutler.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/531325

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice