1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

BT router/modem with Cable Modem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by NYCSavage, Oct 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. NYCSavage

NYCSavage Thread Starter

Hi, I have a strange question that im hoping can work (for a fortnight at the most lol)

I have just joined Virgin Media on 20meg connection. They sent me out an Ambit E08C013.00 modem but forgot to send out the router. Then the engineer installs the wallbracket lobsided! But anyway, im getting away from my question.

I have to wait up to 2 weeks for my router and in the meantime, my computer is upstairs and my connection is downstairs! I dont want to buy a router that will last me 2 weeks, so I decided to dig out my old BT Voyager 2091 router. I connected it to my Netgear FS208 v2 ethernet network switch and now I am trying to get it to broadcast my BB signal from my Ambit modem (which is also connected to my Netgear switch)

I can now connect to my wireless router, but it will not broadcast my broadband.

Is there a way to fix this? Or do I have to wait till my new router arrives?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What's the purpose of the switch?

3. NYCSavage

NYCSavage Thread Starter

The switch is just a simple hub.

Router connects to switch
    Old PC connects to switch while Im setting everything up
    Modem connects to switch

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You likely contracted for only one public IP address; either the router or the Old PC can get it, but not both at the same time.

Unplug modem and router. Connect modem to router's WAN port. Connect Old PC to router LAN port; connect switch to router LAN port if you want to use it.

Plug in modem; then plug in router. The router should now have a connection to the internet, as so should any computers connected to it via ethernet or wireless.

5. NYCSavage

NYCSavage Thread Starter

I dont have a WAN port to make this work.

The setup is slightly different then you described. My router only has a USB port and an ethernet port. My switch has 8 ethernet ports. My modem has 1 ethernet port.

I really do appreciate your help though

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Your "router" is a modem/router combo. So, you can use it as a wireless access point, but without a router that works with your cable modem you will be able to have internet access on only one computer at a time unless you use Internet Connection Sharing (ICS).

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/759465

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice