1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

BT SmartHub - Not so smart...?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Vizulize, Oct 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Vizulize

Vizulize Thread Starter

The information that I am getting from the BT Smart Hub Manager is inconsistent and frequently incorrect with respect to what is/is not connected to the Network.

Information with respect to Ethernet connections is for the most part correct but information with respect to Wireless connections is for the most part incorrect.

Wireless devices which are actively connected to the Smart Hub are frequently not displayed on the Network Diagram. Conversely, wireless devices that are not connected are shown as being connected.

The information is however inconsistent. Sometimes the Network Diagram accurately displays all connected Ethernet and active Wireless devices and does not display devices which are not connected or inactive, therefore it is capable of working correctly.

The only way that I have found to obtain accurate information is to Restart the Smart Hub. That is a real pain.

I would be grateful to receive suggestions with respect to 3rd-party Network monitors (if possible free for home use) that will provide accurate information and that are compatible with a W10 and BT SmartHub environment.

Viz

2. imstewart

imstewart

First Name:
    Ian
    I use a simple bit of software called Netscan. It use to be free but they have put a limit of 10 devices. If you can find a older version it was free as it checked unlimited number of devices. It depends how many devices that you have active on your network if the current version will work for you

3. Vizulize

Vizulize Thread Starter

Stewart, thank you for your suggestion. I will research the product and will Post back later.

Viz

4. Vizulize

Vizulize Thread Starter

I found a free Network product on the NirSoft website. I had no previous experience of NirSoft so I did a very indepth investigation of the website, the software and the developer. Everything checked out OK so I downloaded and installed the product and have been using it for some time.

It is a very simple product, but it provides all the information that I need and after some rigorous testing I have found it to be 100% accurate and very fast to respond to devices being added or removed from the Network. There is also an option to display a popup message and/or a beep if a new device is added to the Network. It works seamlessly in the background and has zero impact on system resources.

The product has no bells, whistles or dancing dogs. There is no adware and no nagware and nothing to annoy the user.

The product is called Wireless Network Watcher, but it also reports on Ethernet connected devices and on the Router.

http://nirsoft.net/utils/wireless_network_watcher.html

Viz

5. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    I use that small Nirsoft program all the time.
    My print server is very old; it attaches to the parallel port. The network used to "lose" my printer and assign it a different IP every time we had as little as a 10 second power outage. Since 5 of our devices print wirelessly to the old printer, I need to know the IP so I could reassign it on each of the 5 devices.

Fortunately, I now have an UPS with 7 battery protected plugs, instead of 3. Now the printer keeps the same IP.

6. Vizulize

Vizulize Thread Starter

Liz, thanks for your Post.

The information provided by the NirSoft Wireless Network Watcher is adequate for my requirements. If one needed more information than this then GlassWire might be a good solution.

However, the Free version of GlassWire is very limited and adds nothing to the Router information. The Paid version is very detailed - probably more than most users would need for everyday use. For Small Business or a very extensive Home Network, GlassWire is probably one of the best solutions.

For small Networks the NirSoft solution does the job.

Viz

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1218017

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice