1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

BT Voyager 210 on Tiscali ISP wont work!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by greengf, Feb 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. greengf

greengf Thread Starter

Hi and help! Trying to get this going. Tiscali ISP with BT router/modem to connect 2 PCs to it. Getting it working with one PC (LAN or usb would be a step forward)

- downloaded driver from Madasafish as the BT one was password protected and couldnt access it (CD broken)
    - havnt done a firmware upgrade, wud that help?
    - can get the config mgr by typing 192.168.1.1 into address bar of IE. Then when I type in my tiscali account/password i get "UNSUPPORTED BROADBAND SERVICE This device has been supplied as part of a BT service and cannot be used by any other services". Surely there's a workaround for this????
    - the device doesnt appear in the Network adaptos list unless I attach the USB cable (not just ethernet)...is that as it should be?

MANY MANY thanks for any suggestions!!
    geoff

2. usualsuspect

usualsuspect

Hi Geoff,

Can't be sure buy a firmware change may free up the modem so long as you get it from the manufacturer's website and not BT's. Any idea who makes the modem? Probably Motorola.

3. greengf

greengf Thread Starter

There's no hint on the modem or box about the manufacturer, just says made in China for BT. There is a firmware upgrade on Madasafish, just wondering if that will open the device up for all other ISPs or just Madasafish or even not work at all. thanks...any othe rthoughts, do u have experience of unlocking these modems?

4. usualsuspect

usualsuspect

5. mac the fork

mac the fork

Hi greengf;

now bear in mind that NO WAY am i a techie; if Usualsuspects says get your driver from the manufacturer, not BT then he must have a reason for it.

My ISP is BT, and I have a voyager 210 router; it will connect 2 pc's or a 1 pc and a games console. The BT page for it: "http://www.voyager.bt.com/wired_routers/voyager_210/downloads.htm"
    advises "Get your driver from your ISP" As they ARE my ISP, I can download the driver from their site; if i can somehow isolate it or identify it, i could copy it for you.

BUT.

Both BT and Usualsuspects advise against this; maybe you should try Tiscali? What do you think, Usualsuspects?

If I can help, let me know.

6. mac the fork

mac the fork

P.S. -BT broaband routers; the default username/password is admin/admin

7. bigbear

bigbear

I have always avoided IPS modems (Junk in my opinium) and always software controled.
    Get a decent modem router, less hassle

8. usualsuspect

usualsuspect

I'll second BigBear. ISP's modem's fall off the back of a wagon, so to speak. Frequent disconnects - but that's mainly down to line quality.

9. mac the fork

mac the fork

Now you have whetted my curiosity; being non technical as i am. My modem/router came with BT's Broadband package. I was not aware I could my pc could function without it?

And as for being 'software controlled,' how else could one alter such parameters as port forwarding etc? Surely a hard-wired Router would mean setting dip switches (or similar) for each port every time you wanted to block or open it?

Forgive if I have totally mis-interpreted your (very brief) comments, and am prepared to remove this post completely if it merely confuses the issue to no purpose. but i am curious now.

10. usualsuspect

usualsuspect

We don't mean literally throw the modem away. We mean replace it with one from a more proffessional vendor.
    And no, your pc does not require an internet connection to function.

11. bigbear

bigbear

What I meant by "software controlled" was of the shelf modems are normally controlled from within the modem itself through the browser.
    You do not load any software onto your pc.
    And yes i would throw it away

12. mac the fork

mac the fork

ok chaps, let me re-phrase my question. IF i discard my voyager 210 router, How can I connect to the Internet? What would be an alternative option?

13. bigbear

bigbear

14. mac the fork

mac the fork

I DO appreciate your input, thanks.

But having visited broadbandbuyer.co.uk, I cannot figure out what you mean.

my router, from BT is an ethernet adsl router. it has to be 'installed,' then to access its parameters and settings, i use a browser.

So do you suggest i look for something similar, but better quality?
    Or are you suggesting i use a different type of device altogether? ( i'm not interested in going wireless)

sorry -if i sound so dumb, its only cos i am.

15. bigbear

bigbear

Does you BT modem work ok
    If it does and you are happy with it then leave well alone
    I have never personally used a modem supplied by an ISP, I have always bought separately.
    I have set them up for other people an considered them garbage,(just my personal view)
    This is what I use
    http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?ProductID=1407
    It enables me to hook up to four pc's by ethernet and have wireless all over the house.
    Its easy to set up and requires no software to be installed.
    It is configured through the browser

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/543501

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice