1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Bt wifi router/modem & 3 com Switch 4400

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ashjohnuk, Feb 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ashjohnuk

ashjohnuk Thread Starter

I have a 3com Switch 4400 and a netgear BT internet router / modem (4 port)

BT router > 3com switch > PC's

I have around 10 Pc on my network, 7 of them are connected to the 3com and the rest via wifi.

i need the 3 com router to issue the ipaddrsses and give access the the internet via the BT modem / router / AP.

I have tried looking on many forums but no help, i can get the 3com to issue the ip addresses, but then i have no internet. Or set the d.gateway to the bt router but then i am unable to have the 3com to issue the ipaddress.

please if anyone can help :)

2. xalerik

xalerik

DHCP server don't take any resources, you will not win anything configuring it somewhere else (not on router). Review one more time DHCP configuration on switch, default gateway configured in this dhcp server should be your bt router. Switch should have different ip address. After proper configuration in ipconfig /all you should see different IP addresses for gateway and for dhcp server.

3. ashjohnuk

ashjohnuk Thread Starter

ok so i think i orginaly set it up correctly, but is there a way of having the switch dynamicly issue the ip addresses, but still have web access via bt router?

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Switches don't provide IP addresses. The router runs DHCP, and the switch just provides additional ethernet ports.

5. xalerik

xalerik

Your 3com is layer 2 switch, not possible with it.
    DHCP server can be configured on router or on layer 3 switch.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1039294