BTX Motherboards! Coming soon to a shop near you!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

X_Gamer7

Hey, just thought I'd start a thread talkin about the new BTX motherboards and other new tech stuff. Whatdya guys like most about them? I mean come on PCI Express is gonna be awesome for gaming. ATI already is developing cards to run with PCIE. Howbout the new DDR2 memory? Man, next years gaming is gonna kick @ss. Cant wait! btw, does anyone have an idea about how expensive these boards are gonna be?

Actually, you won't really see the benefits of PCI Express for a while....games won't be able to take advantage of it yet. PCI Express cards will probably cost around $400 when they first come out, the first wave (R420 chipset) are being developed on AGP and PCI Express, so they'll cost about the same that new cards always do...as for the BTX motherboards, I don't know, but I'm going to guess around $100-$150....DDR2 will probably cost a lot, but it's not going to be implemented as much...

X_Gamer7

Yea they're expected to come out end of this year to beggining of next yr, not sure yet!

By the way, have u heard about that new fiber optic tech stuff? I mean the fiber optic internet? I read about it somewhere, cant think of it right now......

BTX is going to be released this June. The air flow is going to be so good on them, that you won't need a heat sink on the CPU :eek: Of course you'll still need a heat sink on the Prescott :D

It's going to be at least a year before any real benifits shine through, but I think BTX is just what the industry needs :D

X_Gamer7

Does anyone know if the BTX motherboards will be compatable with the ATX cases?

I am looking into that. However it is not likely. The case manufactures probably have their hand in this too :D

X_Gamer7

So do you guys know how overclockable these boards are supposed to be? I mean I hear they have awesome cooling, they got to be able to overclock pretty well ;)

The Gigabyte boards have a feature called EasyTune 4.0 where you can set all of your over clocking through the BIOS. It will also overclock automatically for you :D

The Prescott is having trouble with heat problems right now, but they found that once the chip got past 3.6 GHz it didn't have a over heating problem anymore, and was set up perfectly for overclocking with the new socket that they'll be using :)

BTX is a form factor....it won't affect overclocking all that much.

New form factors are generally designed with regular users in mind, not overclockers. Overclockers generally make their own cooling system based on what works for them. Basically, BTX is still limited by the fact that it's using air cooling - water cooling will provide much better overclocking conditions than a BTX case ever will.

All BTX is really doing is changing the position of the slots, adding ducts, and putting massive heatsinks in the case. Overclockability will depend on the motherboard manufacturers....but you won't get that much of a difference....I mean, anyone who overclocks with stock hardware knows that you can't get too much out of it, you have to add your own stuff. The procesors will be the same for the most part, it's just the form factor that's changing.

Originally posted by McTimson:
New form factors are generally designed with regular users in mind, not overclockers.
Actually that’s not correct. The BTX form factor will have built-in cooling designed primarily because of overclockers. At first glance, the BTX form factor may not seem to be fundamentally different from ATX. However, looking closer, the important changes can be found in the details.

With BTX, the layout of the components is based on the in-line principle. This ensures that air can flow through the PC case (ideally from front to back) with the least possible hindrance. This linear layout also reduces air turbulence, which in turn lowers the noise level.

BTX deals with the heat problems by dividing the system into Volumetric Zones, which are based on the components they contain. There are zones for motherboard components, case parts, components that are difficult to categorize (e.g. extension cards, cables, airflow routes) and others (e.g. drives, front panel extensions). Accordingly, only components that conform to BTX (i.e., components that remain within their respective zones) will be allowed in the future. In order to keep the temperatures down for core components, including the P4 Prescott CPU, which generates above-average heat levels, as well as the graphics card and the chipset, the BTX specification provides for a Thermal Module.

This contains an extensive heatsink (Intel's technology sample uses radial fins) and an airflow shaft, including an opening at the back of the case for expelling air. In combination with the linear layout, this solution makes sense. Because all of the components are placed within the airstream of the Thermal Module, cooling fans for the graphics chip and the Northbridge can be done away with in the future! Perfect for overclockers. The BTX specification mentions two sizes for the Thermal Module, the smaller of which is meant for MicroBTX.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online