1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Budget gaming cpu advice

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bmxrcer190, Nov 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bmxrcer190

bmxrcer190 Thread Starter

Alright. I decided that I want to build a gaming computer. Something about building one myself will give me more satisfaction than just buying one as I'm sure most of you agree. My question is, whats a good Intel processor that I should consider getting. I'm consider getting a XFX nForce 680i SLI Motherboard along with a XFX GeForce 8800 GTS Extreme Video Card. Haven't decided on the RAM and what not. I can't afford the new Intel Extremes. Looking to spend maybe $200, possibly $300 but thats a last resort. Any suggestions?

2. Konstruct

Konstruct

you have a contradiction in your query ?????

you want a budget gaming system / yet you speak of a high priced sli system based on the 680i chipset ?????

I personally would suggest the following

gigabyte GA-P35-DS4
    Intel E6750
    Corsair DDR2-800 / 2 x 1024 ram / timings 4-4-4-12
    video card = 8800 GT (faster than the GTS and less money)
    PSU = Antec trio rail 650 watt
    Zalman 9500 cpu cooler
    hard drives = any sata drive with 16mb cache
    cd-rom / dvd rom = what ever suits you

3. christarp

christarp

I seriously suggest getting an 8800 gt 512 mb

the new gt is cheaper, smaller, and it beats the gts in terms of benchmarks.

4. bmxrcer190

bmxrcer190 Thread Starter

Well the motherboard is only $200. I like the SLI system since it allows to me to upgrade to two cards later down the road. All advice is appreciated. Sort of new at actually buying parts and building a computer for best results. I possibly want to wait to get the new Nvidia 9 series whenever they come out. I also say a XFX GeForce 680i LT SLI Motherboard CPU Bundle with the E6750 cpu. Still the SLI board that I like and the processor that you suggested. Didn't really want the LT model though.

5. BlooChoo

BlooChoo

well the best cpu for current gaming is the intel core 2 duo e6850..it does however come in at the top end of your budget tho...at $279

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115028

but it is the best cpu for gaming and if you can push ur bidget to that youl not regret it...esspecially as you can overclock it to a max of 4.9ghz

6. BlooChoo

BlooChoo

and yeh i agree with konstruct..the 8800GT is the best value GPU around...and well, as budget mobos go i would either choose the EVGA 122-CK-NF68-A1 NF680i or the one you have chosen

7. Konstruct

Konstruct

a really good 680i board will set you back more than two hundred :rolleyes:

I would not play around with an XfX board the EVGA is a low on the tier as I would dare go when you are asking for premium performance >>>>> perfect SLI performance is not nearly as easy to achieve as most folks will lead you to believe

the other thing is make sure when you buy an SLI board that BOTH slots will run at 16X speed

there is no sense installing two high priced video cards if the second one is going to run at 8X (n) :(

the best 680i board I have used so far is the GA-680-SLI DQ6 but man its pricey

http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/02/22/680i_motherboard_comparison_part_2/

to get less board if you are going 680 chipset is really shooting yourself in the foot IMHO

anyway / research is the name of the game & enjoy your build

he all have to make due with what we can afford :p :cool:

8. BlooChoo

BlooChoo

yeh...again i totally agree with konstruct:) but i would reccomend the asus striker extreme!:) hehe but thats just because i like overclocking...if your looking to keep everything running as it is...and gear the system towards gaming then the MSI P6N Diamond is the best gaming mobo with out overclocking...

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/656663

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice