Budget gaming PC

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

SnootyUsher

Okay, so I'm interested in putting together a PC for gaming. So, I've asked around a couple of forums, and I seemed to be getting a lot of mixed messages. Some say I can put together something for around my budget (around $600 or so), others suggest otherwise. I don't know who to listen to, but I obviously hope the former is correct. And I think they are. Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part, but I mean, I'm fine not being able to play EVERY game, just being able to play SOME is fine with me.

Now, I should mention that I'm not completely comfortable building from scratch. I am however interesting in purchasing a BareBones kit, which if I understand correctly, includes most of the parts pre-installed, and working from there. I saw one containing the case, motherboard, power supply, processor, RAM, and hard drive. So I'd imagine I just need a graphics card, operating system, cooling fan, monitor, keyboard, mouse, and... I don't know, is there anything else I'd need?

Anyway, here's the link to the one I was looking at: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3017995&Sku=A455-2129 L

Now, again, I know very little about these things. I'm not especially tech saavy, but that seems decent, and it's only $250. It's got 512MB of RAM, what I think is a good processor (isn't it?), it supports PCI-e cards, so I figure if I got another 512MB of RAM, a good graphics card, XP and everything else (I could use some of the stuff from my current PC such as my monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc.) that would be good enough for most games. Again, I know very little about these things, but from looking at the recommended specs for some games, I'd imagine that would be sufficient. Wouldn't it?

Also, I wanted to ask, is it common for most online stores to allow money orders as a form of payment? I looked on the tigerdirect website, and I didn't see an option for money orders (there might be, but I didn't see it), so I'd imagine they don't accept money orders, but is it common for most online stores to accept them?

Hi,

Almost no online retailers except money orders.. its mostly Credit cards, or something like paypal.

Most barebone systems dont come pre-installed unless its specified, so youll have to put it together from scratch anyway... the one you picked is not pre-installed. When you do a search on tiger direct, look at the side bar on left, it will say amd, intel... look at bottom of list it will say "pre-installed"... that one is not one of them.

Socket 939 is outdated tech, and youll prob never be able to upgrade it again... you really are better off rolling up your sleeves and building from scrap!

You COULD make a light gamer out of that barebones, but here are some problems I see with barebones kits:

The power supply is as important to your machine as ANY other component. Using a poor quality PSU is like taking a match to your money. Sooner or later, it will get you. They don't have much to say about the power supply that comes with that kit, which means I wouldn't trust it.

The processor is good, the ASUS board is ok.

I've never heard of Ultra RAM outside of these barebones kits that TD sells. What does that mean? Not really sure, but there's not much in the way of history to determine its quality.

That has an IDE drive with it---for about the same price you can get a SATA drive now, which will give you better performance...

I don't think this is a horrible kit--but I think if you spent a little more time shopping and looking at your options, you could do just as well with known better quality parts.

SnootyUsher

I see. Still, I think I should go with a BareBones kit, just maybe not that one, though. But since I can get a BareBones kit with some parts pre-installed, it'll be good for someone with my lack of technical knowledge. So, do you know of a BareBones kit you'd recommend? Something on Newegg or another site you might know of supporting money orders?

First of all, I'd recommend Newegg over ANY other site. You're definitely where you need to be there.

I can't really recommend a barebones kit for you, I don't use them, and don't recommend that you use one. Pay attention to what I said about the power supply, that IS a critical issue. Taking your chances with what they give you for a power supply is dangerous. Often, when poor quality power supply fall apart, they destroy some or all of the rest of your components. They also affect stability by not providing steady voltage.

Hang around for a little while and I'll post some links to some things I'd suggest. You seem to be into building it yourself, which is great, so let us give you a few suggestions to consider.

SnootyUsher

Well, I'm still not so sure how I feel about building completely from scratch. I don't know, I'm just a nervous person. When doing something like this, my hands sweat, and shake, so it makes it that much more difficult. Plus, I have virtually no experience with this sort of thing. The BareBones kits were appealing, because I would at least have it started out for me.

I don't believe you'll have too much trouble building yourself. Barebones kits are appealing, but assembling a PC isn't particularly difficult. You will still have to load the operating system and drivers and get Windows ready for use on the internet with a barebones too--and that's usually the most frustrating part of building. For me, anyway, the most build problems I have are with software. Same problems I have with pre-built machines.

Also, we're here to help you if you need it. If you build, you'll have as much time as you need to go through everything and double check yourself. Many people who build for the first time knock it out without a single problem.

I only caution you with the barebones because I don't believe you will get quality parts. Memory and power supplies are NOT a place to save money on PC's, and that's how they get those prices so cheap. You get what you pay for, and with a gaming machine that gets put through the ringer with heat and use, you have GOT to have quality parts inside or the machine WILL stick you in the eye.

I can post some links if you'd like to go with building yourself...

SnootyUsher

Thanks, I'd appreciate that. I'm still not sure yet, but I'm thinking about it.

I have to say, though, I'm also a little concerned about the price. How much is this going to end up costing? Will this be cheaper than the BareBones kit? Or more expensive? As I said, I'm on a budget here, and about 600's my limit. If possible, I'd like to get it cheaper, but I don't know if that's possible.

It would be more expensive.

You could do a LIGHT gamer for $600.00. There are less expensive components out there that are still decent quality.

If you want some help shopping, we're here (y)

SnootyUsher

Well, if it's going to be more expensive, then I don't know... Even $600 is stretching it a bit for my budget. As long as it gets just at around the price (preferably a little under if possible), I might be willing to try this. Still, if there were a BareBones kit without any of the problems you mentioned, I'd rather go that route, as I'm inexperienced, and the price is a serious concern of mine.

And speaking of the price, I'm not even sure how much is charged for shipping.

Hi,

I tried to tell you before... but my boss walked in the room , lol......

Even if you buy a barebones kit, you might to have to assemble it the same if you bought the parts seperately.. Only some barebones systems come assembled.

Here is the side search bar from tigerdirect... if you notice on the bottom it only lists 2 barebones that are pre-installed

TigerDirect's search bar...

the original system you linked too is not under that list, so more then likely its not put together.. so it would be like building from scratch anyway. you may be able to build for $600 with seperate parts....

Let me know what your going to reuse and I can put together a upgradable system for you in that price range. The original barebones you linked to would be ok, but it wont be upgradable becuase socket 939 is phazed out... so you not going to be able to upgrade the cpu a year from now without spending 4-5 times the amount of a newer tech cpu becuase they will be so rare.

SnootyUsher

Well, I can't use the original barebones I linked to regardless, because the site doesn't allow money orders.

All right then, if it would be possible for me to put together something for $500-600, and I would be able to purchase everything from an online store which allows money orders, I guess I'll do that. I am apprehensive about putting something together from scratch as I've said several times now, but every time I ask about this on a forum, it always comes back to this. So, I don't know, maybe this is the way to go. As you said, even most barebones don't come pre-assembled, so I'd end up building it from scratch anyway.

Okay then. If you could link me to the parts I need, I'd really appreciate it. I'm completely clueless here as to what I actually need. Again, I have to reiterate that I'm on a budget here, and I can't go over 600.

Well, here's a starting point:
This system has a decent, mid level graphics card, a dual core AMD CPU, 1GB of RAM, and a solid power supply. All you would need to add is a case, which would put you right at $600.00, but don't forget about freight. If you put this stuff in a cart, it will tell you exactly what the freight will be.

ASUS M2N: http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16813131042
AMD Athlon 64 x2 3800+: http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16819103729
EVGA 7600GT: http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16814130062
2x512MB DDR2 667: http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16820145568
250GB SATA Hard drive: http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16822148144
SATA DVDRW: http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16827106057
XP Home: http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16832116056

SnootyUsher

All right, thanks. Is that everything?

Oh, and also, what would you recommend as far as a case goes? Sorry, I hate to be one of those people who needs everything done for him, but I'm just completely clueless here. Plus, I don't wanna pick out the wrong thing.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts