1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Budget PC needs help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rattlesnake18, Nov 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rattlesnake18

rattlesnake18 Thread Starter

Hi Everybody!

I need some help with my HP Compaq Presario SR5030NX Desktop PC. Lately I have noticed that it has been running low on memory and the performance has been slow. I have already upgraded my RAM to the max capacity (2GB /2 GB (max) ) and I have been running into problems when trying to do general things like surf the net, run WMP11, and some general multitasking. WMP will start skipping as I am running an application or browsing the internet or I will have slow loading times.

I am just wondering if there is anything I can do to improve its performance by not breaking the bank. I have thought about buying a non integrated graphics card to free up memory but I would also need a new PSU since I am working with stock. Could buying a new Mobo with more RAM expansion and a faster processor help or is there anything that you all could think of?

I use my PC for listening to music, surfing the internet, editing videos, and business applications.

Here are a few of my specs:

Desktop PC HP Compaq Presario SR5030NX
    Processor Intel Pentium 4 641 / 3.2 GHz
    Type & Installed Size L2 cache 2 MB
    Chipset type Intel 945GC Express
    RAM 2GB / 2 GB (max) PC2-4200 DDR2 SDRAM
    Hard Drive 160 GB Serial ATA-300 7200rpm
    Graphics Intel GMA 950
    OS Windows Vista Home Basic
    Security / Utility Software Norton Internet Security (always on), PC Tools Spyware Doctor (occasionally on), PC Tools Registry Mechanic (occasionally on)

2. Courtneyc

Courtneyc

Get Ad-Aware 2008 and Spybot Search and Destroy. Update them both and run a scan (one at a time).

Courtney

3. BG-0

BG-0

Vista is your problem. D; Might be other malware too, so run those programs courtney suggested. But anyways, for medium-hardcore multitasking, Vista will make things slow on that kind of a configuration. Not that XP would make them really fly, P4 makes things a bit tricky. If you're going to upgrade your PC, you will need a new OS(if the current one is the one that came built-in with your system.) Might want to make a complete new build in that case(not in your computer case, preferably, sell or pass it on as a whole), that much of upgrading leaves little sense in fiddling around with the old parts (except maybe hard drive). Video card would not help too much. But, you propably can buy a new one without upgarding your PSU, something like a Radeon HD 3450 or other new low-end cards.
    Might want to change your Norton to lighter, free antivirus/firewall programs. Would help a bit.

4. Aren Yashar

Aren Yashar

Suggestions:
    1) Upgrade your OS to Windows XP Professional Edition SP2, maybe 3, or give Ubuntu a try.
    2) Uninstall Norton Internet Security in favor of AVG Free Edition(www.avg.com), and ZoneAlarm (www.zonelabs.com).
    3) Defragment your HD (which upgrading to XP Pro will virtually do for you)
    4) Minimize the number of open applications you have running at one time. Think of it like you sitting at a desk trying to do paperwork. What's faster, filling out a single form or trying to do that, answer phone calls, deal with a supervisor, deal with your pesky coworkers, and all without a cup of coffee to get fully awake that early in the morning? Same's true of a computer. The more tasks it has to do at once, the slower it goes.
    5) Run anti-viral and anti-malware utilities to clean out any unneccessary and (often harmful) programs from your system...see #4.
    6) Any number of the above, the more the better...just remember, if you take my advice on changing OSes, back up your sensitive data first...preferably in two places. There are online storage facilities you can take advantage of (like creating gmail accounts or online storage networks), DVDs, CDs, home network (i.e. other machines), etc...

- Aren Yashar

5. rattlesnake18

rattlesnake18 Thread Starter

Hi Everybody,

Thank you for the advice and help.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/772059

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice