1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Budget PC upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jhyper11, Dec 31, 2016.

?

Which mother board?

Poll closed Jan 5, 2017.
  1. Asus

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. MSI

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jhyper11

jhyper11 Thread Starter

Ok, so I have allowed myself to spend 300 bucks this pay check and I was thinking going with a I5 6600 6mb skylake cpu and either an ASUS B150M-A D3 or an MSI H110M PRO-D. I was hoping to get some help on comparing these two motherboards. Perhaps if anyone has other ideas I could do while staying in budget or a lil past it. The budget is $300.

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    They both have similar ratings, so it will largely boil down to features/options. Also, the MSI uses DDR4 RAM, the Asus uses DDR3.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If you are installing this cpu/board with the idea of gaming, neither motherboard is really desirable. The asus is using a business chipset ie it is for running office stuff and NOT gaming. The msi uses the h110 chipset; that is the lowest of the consumer chipsets. The h110 supports only pci2 and only 6pci lanes. In short, if you are installing this upgrade for general use, I would go with the asus board. [IMO] msi is [at best] a mid-level mfg.
    Do understand that the asus board uses the slower ddr3 ram; again neither board is all that great but IF you made me choose, I would go with the asus.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
  4. jhyper11

jhyper11 Thread Starter

Alright, So I ask you guys this what motherboard and cpu would you recommend for under or at 300 bucks total. I'm currently using an amd a10 7850k with an A55-E33 motherboard.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Before anyone could recommend what board/cpu, you need to post the intended use for the system ie gaming, video editing, what.
    Do you want to stay amd or go intel? You will pay approx $100 more for an intel system however intel has a pretty substantial lead in performance.

6. jhyper11

jhyper11 Thread Starter

Sorry, I would like to use it for gaming as I play a lot and it keeps my mental disabilities at bay.

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If you want a modern, intel system for gaming, it is going to cost you more than $300. You might get by with an amd fx8350 and this asus board;
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131851
    Total of about $280 or so. You can use your current ram and depending on what video card you currently have, you might use that as well.
    Do understand that the amd cpu and board are now going on 4yrs old and do not represent cutting edge tech.

8. jhyper11

jhyper11 Thread Starter

I knew they were old but I guess I just forgot about that. They suck lol like badly. So what if I was to save then, another 300 next month. What could I get for my dollar to best performance.

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

For about $500 or so you can get an i56600k, performance asus mb, and 16gig of ram.
    Add approx $30 or so for a decent cooler. The "K" series are unlocked cpus and do not come with a cooler/hsf. If you purchase a non-K, it comes with a fan and is $25 cheaper however the multi is locked.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
  10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1183150

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice