1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Budget Processors

Discussion in 'Games' started by Supernova1, Jan 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Supernova1

Supernova1 Thread Starter

Hey all,

I've pretty much set myself on everything in my budget build except for the processors. I've been researching for hours and I can't find a consistent answer with which processor to go with. The main battle of the wallet seems to take place between the Intel Core i3-6100 and the Intel Core i5-6500. I'm set on using the MSI gaming RX 470 4GB graphics card with 8GB of RAM.

My main question is: Is there a slightly less expensive, but still cost effective, variant of the i5 quad core?

Thank,
    Josh "PC building noob" B.

I will be using the Gigabyte LG1151 Intel H110 Micro ATX DDR4 motherboard if this changes anything.

2. OverTallman

OverTallman

First Name:
    Jacky
    Unfortunately no, as quad core i5 is a budget "big" quad core by itself, when compared to quad core i7. i3 are all dual cores.
    i5-6400 does exist but you'll be losing 0.5GHz to i5-6500 (0.3GHz in max Turbo).

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!