1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Buffalo Linkstation 120

Discussion in 'Networking' started by andyw35, Nov 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. andyw35

andyw35 Thread Starter

Hi
    I've got a Buffalo Linkstation 120, great bit of kit but with one annoyance, if it's powered off there appears to be no way to power it back up without actually pressing the button on the front.
    It's currently situated in the loft so it's a bit inconvenient. I've tried several WOL programs but with no luck so far.

Any tips or workarounds would be gratefully received.

Andy

2. steigrafx

steigrafx

I, too, have a Buffalo Linkstation 120. There is no mention of wake on LAN in the user manual, nor is there any mention of it in the FAQ section on Buffalo's web site. I cannot imagine that there is a way to accomplish it since wake on LAN is a feature that, on PC's, must be supported in the BIOS. If the Linkstation does not have that feature, I doubt it could be added.

Since the Linkstation is a network attached storage device running its own operating system, it's similar to a file server and can be kept running 24/7. I have had mine for over six months and I leave it on continuously so that all the PC's in my home have access to it.

Out of curiosity...why do turn it off? Or is it that you lose power and then must power it back on manually.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I agree, just leave it on, problem solved! :)

4. andyw35

andyw35 Thread Starter

Cheers Guys

I think it's just the 'turn it off when it's not in use' mentality thats hard to get out of.

The other reason is that my .pst is shared across more than one computer and the file occasionally gets locked and my backup software won't touch it. A power cycle of the NAS fixes this.

Andy

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!