1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

buffalo linkstation with airport express?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by dreadpyrat, Sep 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dreadpyrat

dreadpyrat Thread Starter

Hi all, I recently bought a buffalo link station live and want to add it to my home network. My router is an apple airport express (not the extreme).

The Link Station needs to be plugged into the router to be on the network but the Express only has one Ethernet port and it is being used by the cable modem.

I think I'm screwed, right? How do i get the linkstation onto my network? Do I need to upgrade to an Airport extreme?

If so, do the older ufo style Extremes allow for multiple network inputs? I see they have two Ethernet ports but one is labeled WAN and the other LAN...and I confess I have no idea what that means.

Thanks for any help guys, much appreciated.

PS- I'd switch back to something like a Linksys router but I use the Express for playing iTunes thru my home stereo. Are there other routers that do the same?

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You buy a standard Ethernet switch to expand the number of wired ports. Connect the switch to the single port on the router, and the devices to the other ports on the switch. No configuration should be required, it'll be plug-n-play.

3. dreadpyrat

That is fantastic, thanks John! I'll give that a try.

4. JohnWill

Should work. :)

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I think that the Apple Airport Express has only one ethernet port, and that is the WAN port. Note the "Interfaces" section in the middle column. If I am reading that correctly there is no LAN ethernet port to which a switch (or anything else) can be connected.

6. JohnWill

YUK! That is very limiting, I figured this was at least half a router! :eek: If that's the unit, I guess my idea isn't all that great. :)

7. dreadpyrat

Bummer, yeah...I found this out the hard way. Bought a netgear 5 port switch but it jsut wont work.

If I bought a router instead of a switch, that'd work right?

8. JohnWill

Yep, what you actually need is a real router, not that Apple toy. It amazes me the junk they foist off on the unsuspecting public! :mad:

9. dreadpyrat

I know right? I wanted a way to play iTunes thru my home speaker and the airport is the only way (I could find) to conveniently do it.

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Modem to "real" router to Apple Airport Express will work.

The possible downside is that you will have two LANs; everything connected directly (by ethernet or Wi-Fi) to the new router will be on one LAN and everything connected by wireless to the Apple will be on a different LAN. You will have some access between LANs, but it won't be as easy or as complete as if all devices were on the same network. Don't know if this will be an issue for you or not.

11. JohnWill

You might be able to bridge the Airport, I don't know what capabilities that thing has.

12. dreadpyrat

It looks like it is bridgeable. I'll try that! Thakns guys, I really appreicate the help.

Ha, Looks like my labor day will involve plenty of labor. ;)

13. JohnWill

Doesn't it always if you have a computer? :D

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!