1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Buffalo Router client speed limit

Discussion in 'Networking' started by namo, May 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. namo

namo Thread Starter

Hello,

I use Windows XP Home SP3 and I have Wireless network using Buffalo WHR-HP-G54. All computer in the network are connected wirelessly. I am the administrator; I mean that I am the only one who has access to the router. the their clients that connected to my router are over using the internet by downloading so I need to limit thier speed. I can access the router and install any program in my computer but I can not force the other to install a program and they can uninstall it. I don't know if the router has option to limit the speed of other users.

Note: I am connected to the router Wirelessly too.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I didn't notice any particular feature for that (e.g., Quality of Service) in the manual.

Change the encryption key and share it only with those who abide by your rules.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

4. namo

namo Thread Starter

what orogram or frimware that I can use to have better bandwidth management for clients

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I don't know if that is supposed to be a question or statement, but did you see JohnWill's post # 3?

Was post # 4 written by the same person who wrote the initial post?

6. namo

namo Thread Starter

My router page has DD-WRT wiritten on the top of it but I can not find where I can limit the speed of the clients

On the top of the page it is written dd-WRT.com control pannel similar to that at http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/WHR-HP-G54 so I guess that the person who I bought the router from already install this frimwere.

[​IMG]

7. JohnWill

8. JohnWill

9. namo

namo Thread Starter

there is only limit for the speed for the Ethernet port but I found a place where I can set Priority. I can set my IP to have higher priority that others. I set my laptop to have higher priroty and my desktop next. do I need to set the priroty of other machines or it is defaulted is standard ( priorities are Exempt, Premium , Express , Standard and Bulk)

Now I need help with some of the choices in the first part of QoS Setting:
    Port : "WAN" or "LAN & WLAN"
    uplink and downlink: should I leave it 0 or change it

[​IMG]

10. JohnWill

Did you see this on the page I referenced?

11. namo

namo Thread Starter

It is still hard for me I read at http://lartc.org/howto/lartc.ratelimit.single.html
    that you can do this by the three lines :
    Code:
          tc qdisc add dev $DEV root handle 1: cbq avpkt 1000 bandwidth 10mbit 

tc class add dev $DEV parent 1: classid 1:1 cbq rate 512kbit \
          allot 1500 prio 5 bounded isolated 

tc filter add dev $DEV parent 1: protocol ip prio 16 u32 \
          match ip dst 195.96.96.97 flowid 1:1
    Does this mean I limit the speed of IP 195.96.96.97 to 512Kbps.
    So if I have wireless client(192.168.5.142 and I want to limit his internet speed to 250kbps. I have to run

Code:
          tc qdisc add dev $DEV root handle 1: cbq avpkt 1000 bandwidth 54mbit 

tc class add dev $DEV parent 1: classid 1:1 cbq rate 250kbit \
          allot 1500 prio 5 bounded isolated 

tc filter add dev $DEV parent 1: protocol ip prio 16 u32 \
          match ip dst 195.168.5.142 flowid 1:1

12. JohnWill

First off, I don't know where you're getting those IP addresses from, but the 195.96.96.97 is clearly wrong, that's a public IP address. These addresses are of clients on the LAN side of the router. For your router, all of those addresses should be in the 192.168.5.x subnet, based on the screen shot of your router's configuration page.

Second, you need to specify the actual bandwidth of the WAN interface, (your ISP maximum connection speed) for best results. That's the nnn in my example below.

Details

The first line there is only used once, this simply defines your total WAN bandwidth.

The second line establishes a class of speed limiting. In your case, since you want two different speeds, you would need two instances of the line. However, if you wanted to simply limit both of the interfaces to 250kbits, you'd only need one.

The third line is the actual definition of the speed limit for the individual IP address

Here's what I get for your example. Note that I haven't actually used this capability, but I tried to come up with the actual script you'll need. Hopefully this gives you a starting point to configure more lines if desired.

tc qdisc add dev $DEV root handle 1: cbq avpkt 1000 bandwidth nnnmbit

tc class add dev $DEV parent 1: classid 1:1 cbq rate 512kbit allot 1500 prio 5 bounded isolated

tc class add dev $DEV parent 1: classid 1:2 cbq rate 256kbit allot 1500 prio 5 bounded isolated

tc filter add dev $DEV parent 1: protocol ip prio 16 u32 match ip dst 195.96.96.97 flowid 1:1

tc filter add dev $DEV parent 1: protocol ip prio 16 u32 match ip dst 192.168.5.142 flowid 1:2

13. namo

namo Thread Starter

the 195.196.96.97 is the example in the page. thank you JohnWill.

I have a Question. Will limiting the WAN also limit the LAN? If I limit the WAN at 250Kbit for 192.168.5.142, will that limit the WLAN speed of 54Mbps between for example 192.168.5.142 and 192.168.5.101? I want to only limit the WAN.

14. JohnWill

I don't think so. I believe the limits are strictly in the routing function, i.e. WAN <-> LAN transactions from the descriptions. The router's LAN interfaces are a simple switch with no intelligence.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/824501

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice