1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Buffer under-runs Phillips 1200 series cdrw

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Daniel Davis, Jan 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Daniel Davis

Daniel Davis Thread Starter

I'm getting buffer under runs on my phillips 1200 series cdrw. Bought it 3 weeks ago. Seemed to work fine at first. I'm using Office Depot 700meg 80min disks. Will this model recognize those things..or should I go back and buy the 600's? Am I doing something wrong? Software setting problem? Nothing else was resident at the time I was burning. I now have 3 skeets.

2. brianF

brianF

Burrer underruns are generally caused by the system bus not being able to keep up with the cdrw.

First don't have any programs running in the background, use control alt delete to end task on all except systray and explorer.

Don't use the machine while it is burning, as this can cause congestion on the bus.

Try burning at a lower speed.

Try burning using a disk image where it writes the file to the hard disk and then burns the file from hard disk to burner rather than an on the fly burn

If the burner and the source are on the same ide channel it will cause problems.

When all else fails go into device manager, cdrom tab, select the burner, properties, uncheck or check dma, which ever the case may be.

Some basic stuff, slipe maybe around, very knowledgeable on burners and software.

3. slipe

slipe

I think brianF pretty much covered it with what we have to go on..

The 700Mb CDs work in almost all burners and play on most players. Don’t know about the quality of Office Depot CDs, but bad CDs don’t usually cause buffer underruns.

Tell us what you are doing when you get the underruns. Audio? On the fly directly from the CD-ROM? Converting MP3 on the fly? Data?

What software are you using to record? What motherboard and chipset? If you have a Via chipset you need to get the 4 in 1 driver update from Via.

4. Daniel Davis

thanks for the reply....questions in ALL CAPS below...

5. Daniel Davis

I'm using CD CREATOR 4.0 that came with my Phillips 1200 series burner. I'm trying to make an exact duplicate of the cd that came with my digital camera. I was burning on the fly.

Not sure about motherboard and chipset I have. It's running at about 524 mhz...or some such. Motherboard is capable of dual processors.

=============================================

Tell us what you are doing when you get the underruns. Audio? On the fly directly from the CD-ROM? Converting MP3 on the fly? Data?

What software are you using to record? What motherboard and chipset? If you have a Via chipset you need to get the 4 in 1 driver update from Via. [/B][/QUOTE]

6. brianF

brianF

Adjusting the speed depends on the burning software you are using, usually there is an option to select speed before you start the burn.

Disk image should also be an option, or unchecking burn on the fly. It just writes the whole file to be burned to the temp directory of the harddrive, then burns the file from there.

When you startup your machine the devices initializing should be shown on the screen
    Primary master = hard drive
    Primary slave = ????
    Secondary Master = ?????
    Secondary Slave = ?????

Try the burn again, just uncheck the on the fly box

7. slipe

slipe

I haven’t had EZCD on my computer for quite a while, but there is a wizard when you first open the program that gives you some choices. You would of course choose the choice to “Copy” a CD. If you page through the limited number of places to make selections, one will be to record via the HD. It will automatically write an image to the HD and then record it. You might consider using the burner as both source and destination as it is usually the more competent reader.

You should be able to write at full speed from the HD. If not, you have bus problems. You didn’t answer about your MB and chipset so I won’t even speculate on that.

8. slipe

slipe

Forgot your question about using the CD as a giant floppy. Not a good way to record anything IMHO as the data is not very secure. It does not work at all for audio and I doubt it will give a useable copy of a program CD.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63713

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice