Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bug Check 124

1K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  Daniel33 
#1 ·
Hi,
I have been plagued, over the past year or so with intermittent, and seemingly random freezing. Listed below are some behaviours I notice with the problem, what I've attempted to do to fix it, some things that seem to have reduced the frequency of the problem but not fix it completely, some things I've yet to try, and will be trying. System specs, mini dumps, and other related things will be posted at the end.

Behaviour
  1. This problem was absent for about the first year after piecing this computer together, which leads me to believe it is not a Hardware issue, unless through time pieces broke down and started malfunctioning.
  2. Video freezes, no actions via keyboard or mouse registers, thus requiring a hard restart. Audio continues about 70% of the time, as if nothing went wrong. Other times it hangs looping the same sound.
  3. Happens with or without intense graphic stress. Can happen with games running (most often), or with just Chrome up (while I wrote this post)
  4. Seemingly random. Sometimes does it back to back 3 or 4 times in 15 minutes. Sometimes goes days, or weeks without happening.
  5. Only sometimes generates mini dumps (unsure as to why).

Things I've tried:

1. First happened on Windows XP SP2/3. Clean install of Windows 7 Enterprise 32bit, twice. Did not install any software that was not essential. Problem did not seem to be present, but since I was hardly even surfing the web in that state, much less gaming, I don't know if that's an accurate fix to my problem. Also can't make accurate judgment since the problem could just not appear for long periods at a time. Attempted to log systematically program by program, driver by driver that I install until it happens. Again it was hard to tell as it was fine for a week or two, without me installing anything extra at that point, then freezing started.
  2. Turning sound off completely. Tried this because of an issue with my sound card long ago that caused crashes.
  3. DriverSweeper, and other related utilities to get clean installs of drivers in Safe Mode.
  4. Updating BIOS.
  5. Memtest86+, 8 passes over 7 hours. Will post a picture of the results below.
  6. Using one monitor instead of two.
  7. Unplugging all USB devices (except mouse)
  8. Updating motherboard chipset, and all drivers that I could possibly imagine.
  9. Reslotting RAM
May be others, all that I can recall as of now.

Things that seem to have reduced frequency of the problem:
  1. Playing off of very old archived nVidia drivers. If I recall correclty, it was drivers from 2009 or earlier. Quite rarely happens, but other software incompatibilities and driver errors require me to have an up to date driver.
  2. As an avid multi-tasker, reducing the amount of things I have open at a time (FF/Chrome, World of Warcraft, Starcraft II, music, videos) seems to lessen its occurence, but even with little to no multi-tasking as mentioned above, it still occurs.

Things to try
  1. Running other hardware diagnostics (open to suggestions)
  2. Extensively monitoring core temperatures (I check temperatures in BIOS everytime a freeze happens, all numbers look quite low)
  3. Running mini dumps through Windows Debugger
  4. Finding out if PSU is sufficient

System specs
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Enterprise , 32 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 3327 Mb
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT, 512 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 49999 MB, Free - 19860 MB; D: Total - 299899 MB, Free - 224646 MB; E: Total - 126937 MB, Free - 100764 MB; G: Total - 953867 MB, Free - 87351 MB;
Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC., P5Q, Rev 1.xx, MS1C88B82T03547
Antivirus: COMODO Antivirus, Updated and Enabled

Temperatures(without letting it cool)
CPU: 36C
GPU: 34C
HDD: 21C
Fan speeds are turned at 25% in RivaTuner.
EPU-6 Engine, all modes have caused the problem.

Detailed Speccy (system spec software by Piriform) screenshots are also attached. I don't know how good and accurate Speccy is, but it's the only thing I know of right now.

On a somewhat related note, since this series of crashes is listed as Bug Check 124 and "WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR", I'm not sure if everything I described is applicable, since previously (5-6 months ago) the problem was (I'm not actually absolutely certain, I do know it wasn't the same one though) "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL"

In closing, I'd like to thank all that read my wall of text. I did not intend to make this post as long as it made out to be, but I just tried to include every detail I could think of (I'm sure I left out something very important though). This problem has caused me much distress, and I would extremely appreciate any help you can provide. Just ask if there needs to be something I need to run and post.

Daniel

Attachments

See less See more
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.