1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Bugcode USB BSOD prob.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ulrichburke, Feb 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ulrichburke

ulrichburke Thread Starter

Dear Anyone!

My ISP's Talk-Talk, but they're calling this 'problem solved', so I'm hoping you can tell me which way to go on this one (and probably what to do when I get there....!!)

Did have a Speedtouch 330 modem but it stopped synching. MicroScope told me my computer was fine, reinstalled the Speedtouch drivers, no joy. So they gave me a nice, new, FAST Huawei EchoLife HG532. Now this works like a dream as long as I'm not doing anything that makes it 'busy', by which I mean if I'm just browsing text sites like this, or E-mails, no probs. If I start doing anything like streaming, I keep getting BSODS saying Bugcode USB. I haven't put the number because that changes, I'll append it if it comes in useful as an error range check or similar but it's different every time.

Now I've read that it could be a driver issue but I've checked Event Viewer and all seems happy there. And I've looked in USB ports under Device Manager and none of them have little yellow question marks or exclamation marks. I've got the beastie plugged into a powered hub but I'm STILL wondering if it's leeching too much power from the system when it's 'busy' - streaming video or streaming audio. That's the time it's most likely to hit the Bugcode BSOD - when it's streaming.

Specs. I don't wear any - oops, not that kind! Windows XP SP3, Gigabyte motherboard (that's the manufacturer's name, not capacity in any way) AMD Athlon socket-set, dualcore processor (not overclocked, it was but I've clocked it back down incase that was the problem, it's still happening so I don't think that was it.) 2gigs DDR2 RAM, about 130Gigs hard drive spare. I've got 2 hard drives, both with Windows on, I got the second one when this started happening incase it was a hard drive fault but I've swapped drives with nothing on the second one that's on the first one, just Windows XP on drive 2, doesn't make any difference. And a 400 watt powerbox.

One thing I'm seriously wondering about is that powerbox, which is why I put it last. Is it powerful enough to run the modem, even through a powered hub? I'm VERY vague on powerboxes, I've looked up info. on them and got a lot of conflicting results. Basically - and this is NOT trying to squeeze 2 questions into 1 thread - if I got a more powerful powerbox, would its extra power blow the motherboard because the motherboard was only designed to run with the less powerful box?Or would it just give the USB sockets a little more power to play with, and shut up this new supermodem giving me BSODS??

Yours puzzledly

ulrichburke

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!