1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Bugs Galore!

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by maxibhoy, Feb 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. maxibhoy

maxibhoy Thread Starter

I just shelled out a hell of a lot of money for Vista Ultimate-retail and i gotta say i'm really unhappy and actually shocked that ms has released this when it's still so buggy. First thing i wanted to check out was the media centre. Doesn't work. Runs for 20 secs or so then comes up saying it has to close. The find a solution thing doesn't come up with anything either. Just says ms are looking into it. Pity they didn't look into it before releasing it and charging £340.00 gbp which is near double that in usd $. That's what i payed for the supposed fully featured version. That's not the only probem i've had either, far from it actually. I've had lots of bsod's and i've had to do a diagnostic repair twice. Shouldn't they just have taken a few more months and ironed out these annoying probems first. Max.

2. uhaligani

uhaligani Guest

Just had a peek at you Computer specs. They far outweigh mine. As I have just said in a previous post, I have been using Vista as my primary OS since RC2. Through the RC1/RTM and now retail, I have never, I swear, had a BSOD. Compared to XP, my problems have been no more and, in all cases generated through my own mishandling. Perhaps if you post some of your bugs here, one of the knowledable experts will be able to help you.

3. maxibhoy

maxibhoy Thread Starter

Well a lot of the bugs i've put down to drivers/software incompatibility. But the one i mentioned, the windows media centre is really annoying especially as one of the reasons i went for Ultimate was that. Have you got the media centre and is it ok?

4. uhaligani

uhaligani Guest

I have, but do not use it. I'll try it now and come back soonest

5. maxibhoy

maxibhoy Thread Starter

Yea let me know. I's alway about 15-20 secs in. and it'll just say it needs to close.

6. uhaligani

uhaligani Guest

Ok. It worked for me. I do not have a TV card, so I could not check that. The other functions seemed to work. I do not normaly use it so maybe a media expert can crash in here and sort out the problem.

7. maxibhoy

maxibhoy Thread Starter

hmmm.....Yeah i don't have a tv card either. Or rather i don't have one installed but i don't even need to select anything for the crash to occur. I thought at first it might have been my Catalyst control Centre drivers as i've had quite a lot of problems with these before so i installed the Omega drivers but it's the same and i'm really dissapointed by it. Anyway thanks for your help and i hope someone else does pop up Cheers Max.

8. uhaligani

uhaligani Guest

Looks like no one has an offer. Try posting again with a new title. (Mediacentre failure??)

9. maxibhoy

maxibhoy Thread Starter

Ok Uhaligani, Thanks for the help. If i remember right mate where you not the guy that posted the Vista tweaks and then later at my request you posted an XP one also. I think the Vista tweaks where aimed for using with the beta 2 at the time since that's where we where with it's release but i'm sure it'd still be fine with the final retail version so if you still have a copy do you think you could post it again for me mate? I found it really great the last time but a new computer and a couple of formats later and i don't seem to have it on my system anymore. If you could post this again i'd be most grateful. Thanks again mate, Max. :) ;) (y) :D

10. JJC327

JJC327

tagan tg480-u22 psu
    You have an awesome system there, but the thing that stands out the most is the POWER SUPPLY. "480 Watts" I'm thinking it's just not enough watts for your power hungry system. I'd step up to a Super Duty 600 watt or more. Your video card alone will use a couple hundred watts at idle. Hope this helps. Update here: Read this review of the Tagen PSU the voltage rails are subpar. http://www.pcreview.co.uk/reviews/Miscellaneous/Tagan_TG480-U22/3/

11. uhaligani

uhaligani Guest

Thats correct Jock. It's still around this site somewhere, as well as being plastered well around the web. I can sort it out again for you. There are one or two attachements as well. I have updated the whole thing for the retail release, which I am now using. Quite a lot of stuff has been left out as it is no longer required.

P.S. Might be easier if I e-mail it. It is pretty large if I include the attachments -I don't have sufficient permissions to put it out here.

P.P.S I've found the earlier one cocnerning the RTM (Attached) the retail one is the big job.

Attached Files:

12. maxibhoy

maxibhoy Thread Starter

jjc327 actually my vid card uses 155watts under load and the Tagan i have has been solid as a rock in all rails since getting it about 3-4 months ago. It was in my last system before mb, mem, cpu upgrade. However i'm going to go crossfire soon so i'm planning a psu upgrade then. Going to go for pc p&c 1kw. Which will pretty much handle anything that's thrown at it. Until then though the Tagan really is fine for what i've got. Outervision extreme psu calculator says i need 396w so i've even got a bit of space. And that's with all fans included, 3 sata drives, 2 cathodes, well basically everything that's in my specs. And a 3.46GHZ ghz overclock!! There's mixed reviews of Tagan psu's on the web but generally they're favourable and it's certainly served me well.
    Uhaligani so is the one attached ok then? I wasn't sure if you where saying that this one had the attachments you mentioned. Anyway thanks for that mate. Need to make sure i keep it safe this time.(y) :D

jjc327 by the way that review of my psu you posted the link for is very favourable of it. Says the voltages are stable as a rock and it outperforms all the others there. Did you read it properly?

13. JJC327

JJC327

Yep, it's a good middle of the road PSU. A 1KW PSU would be much better suited for your awesome system. Cheers... (y)

14. uhaligani

uhaligani Guest

The RTM tune is OK for that particular release, and is, of course, OK for earlier releases. The final one, for the Vista which is now on the streets, is much bigger and with the attachments. I'll make a plan and PM you for somewhere to download it.

15. maxibhoy

maxibhoy Thread Starter

Good man Uhaligani, Look forward to getting it.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/544472

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice