1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Build a Gaming PC for me

Discussion in 'Games' started by Plonker, Jan 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Plonker

Plonker Thread Starter

Hi there. I'm looking for a very good gaming PC that I will be able to run big games at decent quality and framerate. It'd also be nice to have a computer that can record these games without lag. I also would want a computer that would be performing well for at least 2 years.

Now after researching it was pretty obvious to me that the best way to go was build a computer. So could you guys tell me which parts I should use? Here is what I'm looking for:

- Great for gaming
    - Will be able to let me record whilst playing
    - I have no budget, but don't go over $2500

Thanks for reading :)

2. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    Hi and welcome to TSG

So you budget is 'up to $2500' then :)

To be honest, if you go that high you would be able to get a very high end machine. Are we talking about USD here, as the actual currency and available sources for parts will make a difference.

Do you need everything? Keyboard, mouse, Windows OS, monitor etc or is that budget all for the base unit?

To be honest, I (and think most others) would rather you reaseached a possible build yourself, posted a set of links to proposed parts and then discuss from there. This helps to gives you a far greater insight and understanding into compatibility issues and will give you greater satisfaction in accomlishing the build.

Decide if you want to go intel or AMD for the processor (Intel is a bit better at the top end but will cost more), then get a motherboard to suit that CPU. Then look at the motherboard specs to determine what RAM to get etc.

3. Plonker

Plonker Thread Starter

Uh well I got what I want sorted, can you just tell me if you think this is good?

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($169.99 @ Microcenter)
    CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Water 2.0 Extreme 81.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($129.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($180.98 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($44.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($57.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($157.99 @ Adorama)
    Storage: Samsung 830 Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($169.95 @ B&H)
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB Video Card (CrossFire) ($439.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB Video Card (CrossFire) ($439.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Corsair 650D ATX Mid Tower Case ($159.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Corsair Professional Gold 850W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($169.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($24.98 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) ($87.99 @ NCIX US)
    Total: $2219.80

4. prunejuice

prunejuice

The water cooler is nice...but "overkill".

What's the 500GB drive for?

5. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    That would be a very nice system.

I agree with pruncejuice, the water cooler is massive overkill. The stock cooler is mor than good enough unless you are looking at serious overclocking. I also agree in asking, what is the 500gb HDD for, I don't see any purpose for it in that setup?

I personally think Crossfired 7970's is overkill aswell to be honest, there are still problems in a good number of games with Crossfire and SLi setups, it will generate alot more heat. If you are going for a Crossfire setup like that I would strongly recommend a Full Tower case not a Mid Tower as the extra space inside will help with airflow and heat dissipation from the two cards.

6. prunejuice

prunejuice

I imagine the 500GB drive will be used as a "scratch drive" for video editing, am I right?

If that's the case, I'd go with a "black" drive.

Also, I have nothing against watercooling. I've got 3 closed-loop-coolers myself in various configurations.
    They're a nice touch, but you could get a Noctua for half the price (top of the line air cooler) and use the money you save for extra RAM or something.

7. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    Would be interesting to hear the rationale behind the 500GB drive, the scratch drive is a possibility. If that is the case and the OP is going to be doing a lot of video processing etc then they may be better going for an i7 over an i5, infact with the setup listed the i7 would probably be a better choice overall as the machine has plenty of graphical processing power already.

8. tom6049

tom6049

I agree 100%...there is room in the OP's budget, so why not?
    Personally, I'm not a big fan of water cooling or SLI/Crossfire.

9. SVconsulting

SVconsulting

I will be honest, you are looking for someone else to build a system for you? Is this because you are not sure how to do it yourself or not familiar with drivers? If this is the case, go with an Nvidia GTX 680 graphics card - I find the Catalyst drivers for ATI/AMD "Radeon" graphics card a bit of a problem to deal with (if you are not confident in that area). If you like playing and spending time messing with new drivers...go for the Radeon.

If you want to just get it and go, get an Nvidia, I have used both for many users, and find the Nvidia is just a "safer" bet for someone that might not know how to install new drivers every month.

The rest of the system looks very nice, best of luck with it!

Scott

10. ninjaman123

ninjaman123

the Thermaltake extreme is awesome. I have it on my 8150. I also have the GTX 680 mentioned above. If you do decide to get one, get it from MSI with their Twin Frozr 4 cooler. AMAZING capabilites. 16GB of ram is good, but if you do video editing you might want the extra 16 and get 32. i don't recommend the stock cooler for Intel as the i7's I have used ran a little hot. Get I high quality air cooler, maybe even a thermaltake performer or Pro. I see that you only selected 8GB of Ram but trust me, 8 will soon be a low amount as it's not uncommon to see 16 or even 32GB. I have even seen one setup with 64.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1083530

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice